Discuss a bit stuck with tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sharki9

Hi All,

we just bought a house! In the kitchen next to the door we had tiles which were broken and moving, it was really annoying every time you step on them, so we decided to replace them. As the kitchen is done in extension of the house we presumed that the floor underneath is concrete, well... it is, but the concrete finishes about 20cm outside of the door, what follows is rubber like material and there is a hollow space underneath (it could be a waterproof/damp proof membrane) I highlighted this on the picture with the yellow circle nr 1, this material is moving (bumpy) so when you press it you can make a bump in it and than it will jump out. We thought this membrane is supported on wood - so we bought plywood and wanted to screw it in to even out that bit before putting the tiles on - but the screw wouldn't go in (nr 2 on the pic), I think that the tiles broke originally because this is not a solid ground it moves and the movement makes tiles to crack and i'm worried if I will lay the tiles back on it they will crack again, what would be the best way to lay a tile on this surface?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

3ataruty.jpg

link to the picture

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11HbEDQloMoKNf5KEpBIicaksyIbeaTzGOCBXx-vpCxs/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sharki9

That looks like the dpc (damp proof course) and possibly it has expanding foam underneath it where that upvc door has been fitted. You would probably need to take a look underneath the dpc its probably a brick or two missing.!

so should I cut through it? I was afraid to cut it in case it's there for a reason, i got a whole bucket of "UniBond" ceramic floor tile adhesive, can I fill the gap with it and wait for it to dry and make the floor even ?

or what would be the best way of going about this problem ?

S

sharki9

[/B]

The tubbed gear will take forever to go off at that thickness...

Your first few posts have to be approved by a moderator...

so what would be your suggestion ? it took me long time to take off those tiles and clear the area so would like to do it properly, so it will last for some time before we redo the kitchen.

im not even sure why this was done that way as building is not my expertise

W

White Room

so what would be your suggestion ? it took me long time to take off those tiles and clear the area so would like to do it properly, so it will last for some time before we redo the kitchen.

im not even sure why this was done that way as building is not my expertise

Reread your op and looking at the picture and from my understanding is the floor screed comes level with the damp course, the gap is the cavity between the two brick courses where the tile cracked...is that correct.

S

sharki9

Reread your op and looking at the picture and from my understanding is the floor screed comes level with the damp course, the gap is the cavity between the two brick courses where the tile cracked...is that correct.

Just googled cavity wall and the gap could be a space between the two bricks, so the concrete floor comes up to the wall, and the damp course covers the two bricks, the problem is that the damp course moves, it's bumpy so when I'll put the tiles on it i'm worried that they will break again?

S

sharki9

S

sharki9

The floor screed would have been 50mm and a thin roof slate would have laid over cavity, anything thin will crack with movement has as proved with your tile.

As said previous a wood threshold would be your best bet.

was looking now at this area and can't quite figure out how I would mount this wood threshold, the only way I can think of is to glue it to the DPC but this will move as well when you step on it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to a bit stuck with tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi, We currently have travertine floor tiles with wet UFH underneath. Some of the tiles have...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB