Discuss a cautionary tale in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikethetile

I dont get caught very often but when I do I dont do it by halves

this also highlights how difficult the law on sales of goods can be and why we shouldnt give any legal advice on this forum

bought a van off ebay, asked lots of questions and was happy with the answers, vendor insisted that I pay through paypal before collecting the vehicle

wasnt happy but chelle paid on her card through paypal as this would mean we could get our money back .............wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

no protection if you pay by paypal, all paypal does is keep your back details secret , they are not regulated in any way and you have no protection even if paying by card

collected the vehicle from spalding , within 30 miles it overheated and the engine seized. phoned him and told him to collect his van and give me my money back, he refused as its an auction

I have been through every avenue today and its down to small claims

hes a trader masquerading as a private seller but im going to have trouble proving it , trading standards are investigating

I wont let this go , ive been buying motors for too long and I will get my money back through the courts but because its an internet auction im not covered by any of the sales of goods acts, so ive rolled my sleeves up and im going in on the attack

but I thought I would warn others of the pitfalls of paying through paypal, you have less protection than if you pay by cash on collection

M

mikethetile

thats what we thought G which is why I posted this warning

also if you use your card to pay through paypal you lose your cards protection too as your issue is not with paypal but with a third party

paypal is owned by e bay and is only there to protect your bank details , no more

they do conflict resolution but that doesnt cover any goods collected , it only covers mailed out items, these are covered by the distance selling act anyway so trading standards will deal with that for you

I cant even use unfit for purpose as that doesnt cover ebay sales unless they are registered as a trader or e tailer

im gutted as had I done my usual and gone with a wad of cash , I wouldnt have paid or it but I had already paid for it and they refused to return the money as it was a runner with 11 months mot so I was obliged by law to take it as it was as described, I knew it wasnt right but couldnt pinpoint the fault

M

mikethetile

no i didnt Oli, I was sent photos and I was happy with the answers to my questions

we are talking a few hundred quid here so even if I had to rebuild the engine I would have been happy but if I had been made aware of a few of the problems I wouldnt have bought it, it wasnt in the auction , it was in the buy it now

ive returned the van to them, if I have to lose the money I wont lose any sleep over it, my mistake was that I bought it unseen through paypal as I believed I had protection and thats what im warning about

the only protection paypal gives you is that it protects your personal details from the vendor

im going back to the fist full of dollars approach, I know where I am when im putting £20 notes on the bonnet and they can take my offer or leave it

M

mikethetile

you know I was going to go back to his house kilty

but hes had a stroke, all down his left side, he can walk but he shuffles and he has trouble moving his left arm. the way he was going on at me I might of lost it with him

It was the way I was driving it , the a1 is a very fast rd you know,

well im sorry but no one told me I had to stick to b roads and drive at walking pace,

there was nothing wrong with it when it left here . you broke it by driving it wrong

well ive been driving for over 25 years and I havent broken a car yet by driving it wrong

its best I stayed away from the donkey. I do hope he gives that drivel in his defence for court

U

user123

you know I was going to go back to his house kilty

but hes had a stroke, all down his left side, he can walk but he shuffles and he has trouble moving his left arm. the way he was going on at me I might of lost it with him

It was the way I was driving it , the a1 is a very fast rd you know,

well im sorry but no one told me I had to stick to b roads and drive at walking pace,

there was nothing wrong with it when it left here . you broke it by driving it wrong

well ive been driving for over 25 years and I havent broken a car yet by driving it wrong

its best I stayed away from the donkey. I do hope he gives that drivel in his defence for court

Now put that nail gun away, Mike.... :lol: :lol:

Reply to a cautionary tale in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

P
As a newbie to a Wet Room I have just inherited I am hoping you can help me. I have a 2/3 Bar...
Replies
Views
plug_it_in
P
G
Hi all looking for some advice, been working for a company on and off for last 5 or 6 years...
2 3
Replies
Views
T
HI my name is Jimmy Im from chorley lancs , which is in between Preston , Wigan and Bolton . my...
Replies
Views
suave
S
S
Anyone used this tile; 600x400x10 Classical Tulum Gold Limestone Brushed? Supplied through...
Replies
Views
T
Hi folks. I have an ongoing saga with some basalt tiles. We had a kitchen floor tiled with...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
a cautionary tale
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.