Discuss A little advice please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

ProjecTile

Hi Guy's, I am wanting to fix some mosaic tiles to some marine plywood approx 1 sq metre. I am using a flexi mosaic adhesive. Do I need to seal or prep the plywood before I fit the mosaics with the adhesive? I have been told I need to seal the ply with PVA before I apply the adhesive, is this right? if so what ratio should I dilute the PVA if any & how long after applying the PVA or sealer must I wait before I can fit the mosaic's to the ply? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Alan W :sick:​

B

Barry bp

If you use minimum 18 wbp ply sael the back and the sides with pva sbr would be better make sure ply front is clean and dust free i would tile straight on i used to tile many displays for a tile showroom never had a problem and the addy was not as good back then come on its only a display plasterboard will only make it heavyer thinking about it you could:thumbsup: use 500 backerboard insted of ply

P

ProjecTile

Hi, Thanks for your advice. If I can just explain were im up to at the mo. The mosaic is fully built but I have not put it on a substrate as yet. I was going to put it on hardi backer but could not get a piece that would cover the full mosaic as its 120 cm x 111 cm & I was a bit concermed about having a jiont in the middle of the mosaic. This being the case I thought I would get the best quality ply wood & was told marine ply would be the best rather than an interior ply. I know many people use exterior ply to board out over floor boards so thought this would be ok. The ply I have purchased is 9mm thick but it will not be getting fitted directly to a wall as it is going away to be professionally frames so will hang like a piece of art work. You mention a minimum 18 do you think I should thicken up the 9mm I have? one guy on here as suggested adding plaster board to the ply but I have come up with the idea of possibily screwing some 6mm hardi backer to the ply wood that way the thickness would be approx 15mm or do you think the 9mm would be ok, it is going to be an indoor piece but I do not want it to warp or buckle, what do you think?
Regards Alan

U

user123

Sorry, thought I'd replied in the other thread - if it is an interior mosaic, just seal the marine ply with SBR bond, (NOT PVA) to the dilution as stated on the bottle. It being a show piece piece make sure that the fixings / handle at the back are sorted before you fix the mosaic, if you google heavy weight picture hangers and fittings you will find what you think is right for you. Some are designed to be fixed right through the board, hence the sorting it out beforehand. If you spread the weight over at least three rather than two hanging points this will avoid that the board warps, but marine ply and mosaics go very well together in an indoors setting, and even used externally with the sides and back coated in several layers of yacht varnish I have been relieved to find how stable it is, albeit having used a thicker piece. The glass or ceramic tiles combined with the adhesive and the board will make that size pretty heavy, so do make sure that everything will be absolutely secure during any display. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to A little advice please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time I’m posting 👋🏽 I’m after some advice please. Is this area going to need...
Replies
Views
Hi, My tiler has just left and apart from him chatting to me about his life story for majority...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
A little advice please.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.