UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss A modern dilemma question.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

would be interested to hear your opinions

In a social networking environment, like facebook, google+, myspace etc, do you feel it is better

a) NOT to post pictures of your family and friends, to preserve privacy and anonymity (we are only talking normal family snapshot, not giving away private information of any kind)

or b) to post pictures of your family and friends, (again with no personal or private details that may upset in any way) in a way of honouring them, and saying, this is a social network, so I am happy to show the world the people I share my life with?

Personally I have decided to ask my individual family members if they are happy to have photos of them shown on my profiles and will opt for the honouring bit, but there has been quite a bit of discussion about all that on various platforms lately and would love to hear what you guys' take on this is. Thanks :)

I have friends and family out of town and in australia, so i pm them a bit and its good too see a few pics of what they are up to thats about all i use it for. the only thing to be concerned with is giving out too much personal info that may be used for identity theft, which has become quite a problem these days.the main thing is you just have to be careful when someone you dont know tries to contact you. the other problem with these sites is other people you do know can tag the people in your pics giving others who are friends of friends names of people in your life. some people out there are extremely devious and will use what ever info they can get to use for their own gain.

the bottom line is make sure you know what you are doing on the internet. udjust your account settings to protect yourself and family as much as possible.:thumbsup:

O

Olz

Only friends who I have accepted or added can view my fb. So I don't have a problem with putting stuff on fb. I had a card cloned before and the bank actually noticed it and put the money back and rang me before I even knew about it. For me the pleasure from things like fb outweighs missing out on using it incase I become the victim of fraud. But I to tend not to worry about much and take the view that if anything did happen it would be annoying but I won't wrap myself in cotton wool just incase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

doit4u

A word of caution from personal experience. We had a tragic death in the family last year and the press accessed facebook to get pictures of people that they published. Even when Facebook were contacted and the person's listing was frozen it was still possible to access the pictures via a google search of the name.

That's why on my facebook page there is only a picture of me as a teenager, which would be of little use to anybody as I am now 50 years older, fatter and hairless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do nothing with facebook etc because of to much information, just me though..why would anyone be interested in my family history, why would I want old friends who I have'nt seen for donkeys years be interested in what I do now.

The people I know now are the ones that i keep in contact with, most of the others would seem almost like strangers anyway..

well put. though i have a son in aussie who doesnt communicate much which is ok because his partner posts her whole life together with pics on facebook they will have my first grandchild next month so i expect heaps of updates and pics so his family over here will be kept up to date for at least untill i get over there in about a years time. havnt seen my son for about 16 years now . looking forward to holding my grandson and having a beer with my son :8: i must say though that websites like facebook certainly make the world a smaller place. a bit like this site i suppose. its interesting to hear what you guys and girls are up to in the tiling world. if its used properly these sites can be extremely beneficial but caution must be taken i dont think thats paranoia but just common sense in the end dont you think?

U

user123

well put. though i have a son in aussie who doesnt communicate much which is ok because his partner posts her whole life together with pics on facebook they will have my first grandchild next month so i expect heaps of updates and pics so his family over here will be kept up to date for at least untill i get over there in about a years time. havnt seen my son for about 16 years now . looking forward to holding my grandson and having a beer with my son :8: i must say though that websites like facebook certainly make the world a smaller place. a bit like this site i suppose. its interesting to hear what you guys and girls are up to in the tiling world. if its used properly these sites can be extremely beneficial but caution must be taken i dont think thats paranoia but just common sense in the end dont you think?

Absolutely. My son is in Australia, too, I know exactly where you are coming from there, even further from me than from you. And the people like Doug and Dave, Phil and Bri, and other TFers I have met in person after 'meeting' them on here, yes, even within the UK it brought us closer than it would have been possible otherwise, and when we did meet in person there was a whole lot on online history already to build on. It's a community feel that is encouraged here, and I think the world needs that now more than ever. :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A modern dilemma question.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
C
I am in no doubt that our friend Wivers is now flying high! Before a company goes public...
Replies
Views
wivers
W
C
Hello Everyone! First off, let me thank everyone for all the wonderful knowledge and more...
Replies
Views
cyberk
C
O
Dealing with bounced or cancelled cheques from non paying customers This happened to me a...
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T
G
One year, I decided to buy my mother-in-law a cemetery plot as a Christmas gift... The next...
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
A modern dilemma question..
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.