UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Acoustic substrate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

I have been asked by a builder who is doing work at some apartments if i could lay floor tiles in the bathroom and kitchens but there is a clause in the owners contract that say no ceramic floor tiles due to noise being transmitted to teh apartment below.
The owners want to know how effective the aacoustic membranes are and if suitable they would be willing to give it the green light, which a lot of the residents would like.

Anyone used it and what were the results ?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I have been asked by a builder who is doing work at some apartments if i could lay floor tiles in the bathroom and kitchens but there is a clause in the owners contract that say no ceramic floor tiles due to noise being transmitted to teh apartment below.
The owners want to know how effective the aacoustic membranes are and if suitable they would be willing to give it the green light, which a lot of the residents would like.

Anyone used it and what were the results ?

There are several of these available. Monarfloor, Celecta and Thermal ecconomics all do them. cheap(ish) and easy enough to use. I have seen them used several times under tiles without any issues. I reckon Thermal Economics is one of the better ones., If you want some contact details PM and I will sort you out a contact number. Its called Isorubber Top I think.

You would stick it down with a pressure sensitive adhesive. It also has robust detail status I beleive.

A

Aston

hi neale

is this any use ...

BAL Acousti-Bond is an elastomeric single-part adhesive which is accepted by NHBC for use with an approved matting system such as Regupol 4515 acoustic matting and an approved flooring adhesive such as Ardex AF200. BAL Acousti-Bond has been developed to achieve excellent adhesion to acoustic matting without adversely affecting the sound reduction performance of the floor. It performs in this way due to its formulation, which contains similar fillers to the materials used in acoustic mattings. These specially selected fillers give improved acoustic properties, compared to conventional tile adhesives, which contain more brittle types of fillers such as sand which can help to transmit sound.
When used as part of a system, BAL Acousti-Bond also provides a lightweight solution, which is particularly desirable when used on suspended flooring.

ed..........

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
regupol very similar to Isorubber top. There are loads of these about these days.
Cannot see the science behind how the Elastomeric adhesive helps any better than any other adhesive though. The odea of the resillient matting is to prevent sound transfer due to impact by acting as a "shock absorber". it will work wether it is a tile, a laminate or any other rigid floor covering I think regardless of how it is bonded.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
did they use it with a accoustic matting? it contains similar fillers that the mattings contain so its not a singular option but a combined action...belt and braces etc

Sorry Aston I simply can't see this. The regupol is a simple rubber crumb made from recycled tyre rubber. Are you saying that the adhesive contains rubber? It is surely the resillient mat that does the work in terms of acoustics regardless of the adhesive. Or is it not a cement based adhesive so acts as a second resillient layer? Not havin a go just trying to understand.:thumbsup:

If you need an acoustic floor and there is a screed involved there will be either an underscreed resillient mat which allows you to bond direct to the screed or an over screed resillient mat which you stick down and then tile on to. If you have to acheive an acoustic condition to meet Part E then I think the nature and brand of the material should be specified for you.

Bear in mind as well that to avoid potential flanking sound at the edges of the floor you might need an acoustic mastic - not sure though.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
there you go doubting thomas/ajax ..

read this.... BAL Adhesives - Media Centre - SILENCE IS GOLDEN WITH BAL ACOUSTI-BOND

I did have a look at this thread before I commented Aston but it did not really explain how it works very well. I am always one for knowing how everything works - perhaps you've noticed.......:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Acoustic substrate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I've read a few forum comments or articles about the dangers of laying tiles over...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Thanks for taking your time to read through this and really appreciate the support! So me and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, first post after much reading. A wealth of information exists on this forum and its...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.