Currently reading:
Acrylic primer didn't bond to Larsen Tile Adhesive

Discuss Acrylic primer didn't bond to Larsen Tile Adhesive in the Tile Adhesive and Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Is it a ground floor external wall? Cavity wall or solid wall?

Just wondering if the wall could be damp for the primer to remain tacky. Gypsum plasters shouldn't really be used on solid walls as they act like a sponge and absorb moisture.
Hi trigger, its on an internal wall and was moisture tested before primer was applied. Tiling is only 1.2 meters high on the wall and is painted above if damp was an issue I'd imagine the paint would be showing signs of this.

Sorry for the late welcome.
Any joy fixing your issues?
No Joy, Larsen rep sent through a report blaming everything but their product and claimed that the tile had taken a "weak" layer of gypsum off the wall, I asked how this was possible when trowel marks and sealer can still be seen on the wall and pointed out what he was actually seeing was collapsed adhesive ridges but he didnt want to hear it and said his report was final. Several jobs within my area have failed recently all different tilers all Larsen products and they have not taken responsibility for any of them, I think one of the tile shops have stopped supplying their products because of it. How are their products viewed by tilers in your area Lou?
Sorry for the late welcome.
Any joy fixing your issues?

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Staffordshire
No Joy, Larsen rep sent through a report blaming everything but their product and claimed that the tile had taken a "weak" layer of gypsum off the wall, I asked how this was possible when trowel marks and sealer can still be seen on the wall and pointed out what he was actually seeing was collapsed adhesive ridges but he didnt want to hear it and said his report was final. Several jobs within my area have failed recently all different tilers all Larsen products and they have not taken responsibility for any of them, I think one of the tile shops have stopped supplying their products because of it. How are their products viewed by tilers in your area Lou?
I'm not a tiler myself but @Dan said they're not one of the most used tile adhesives. We shall start a thread and get some feedback.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Their say isn't final. You can pay The Tile Association a fortune for them to get an 'independent expert' in and do their own report, and if that says it's their adhesive or other product, then you can take them to court and 9/10 the court will go in your favour should the report be in your favour. People have done this a few times on here.

If you want more information, checkout TTA website, that has costs and things on it I think.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Their say isn't final. You can pay The Tile Association a fortune for them to get an 'independent expert' in and do their own report, and if that says it's their adhesive or other product, then you can take them to court and 9/10 the court will go in your favour should the report be in your fthele have done this a few times on here.

If you want more information, checkout TTA website, that has costs and things on it Ithin
Their say isn't final. You can pay The Tile Association a fortune for them to get an 'independent expert' in and do their own report, and if that says it's their adhesive or other product, then you can take them to court and 9/10 the court will go in your favour should the report be in your favour. People have done this a few times on here.

If you want more information, checkout TTA website, that has costs and things on it I think.
Thanks for the reply Dan, I'll look into that. I heard of one person locally who got an independent report that stated the acrylic primer was not fit for purpose its something I must follow up on. They state minimum 3mm grout joint (I used 2mm) with an expansion joint every 5 lineal metres, I called 3 local tile shops none stock expansion joint and they might sell it once a year max. While I honour every expansion joint cut into a subtrate and leave 10mm+ around the perimeter for movement this seems to be nothing but an excuse from the company to accommodate for lack of flexibility in their ahesives. In a 6 metre long kitchen am i expected to install an expansion joint? I've been tiling 15+ years and have never had an issue with this 🤷🏻‍♂

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Acrylic primer didn't bond to Larsen Tile Adhesive in the Tile Adhesive and Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm about to lay some antique 6"x6"x 0.5" ceramic tiles, all clean and dry, onto...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Tile Adhesive Trending Topics

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB