Discuss adding an employee part time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
wondered if you guys /gals couyld help me on this one

my partner currently works part time in the care sector and the shifts do not suit us with the kids

im expecting to be taking on much more work with the plastering under my belt this year so if i paid the wife a weekly part time wage which equalled her wage at her work what would i have to do/change to my current setup as im a sole trader

if i have an employee who was doing paperwprk and typing up quotes etc do i need anything in place paperwork wise and health and safety wise ?

any advice appreciated

A

Aston

if i were you jaime i wouldnt do what your suggesting until the plastering work is coming in you can plaster to a good standard.
your wife has a job and a guranteed wage even if the hours are not what you like and that is a nice position to be in, in this current climate.

i know your ambitious and its the only way to get on but, id give it another 6 months to a year and then make the employment changes if i were you.

ed

A

Alberta Stone

I have had employees in the past and will never do it again.
This is why.
Paperwork and gov't payments, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
It is far cheaper to establish someone as a registered business entity, such as a limited company or an incorporation and then any business relationship you have with them is straight pay with no paperwork or other issues.
They look after their own books and taxes and you don't have to for them and withhold their money they worked for.
And they can enjoy the many corporate loopholes to keep the money in their pockets working for them.
Better to do it that way or work with people who already are set up that way.
Forget being a "sole proprietor" as that is the worst method to employ.
Incorporate your business entity and let it carry the numbers around, it is your strawman that you then use to interface with everything.
In Canada we have a tax, GST it is called like the VAT. And it has a threshold of $30,000.
So if I wish to give a person a break I can waive the GST on a small job and get paid directly as it isn't run through my incorporated entity, which they appreciate, and I am breaking no laws and do not have to report it as GST taxable provided it stays under the threshold for that year.
If I was a sole proprietor I could never do this for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to adding an employee part time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
hi all bit of a long shot i know but is anyone looking for a adult apprentice around glasgow...
Replies
Views
Good evening all, This is possibly a simple question and I'm hoping that it is a simple 'ish...
Replies
Views
R
Hi all. In my intro (a few months ago) I was looking at making the move from office work into...
Replies
Views
RDTiling
R
Im currently ripping out my GF bathroom in her rented flat in Brighton. The flats are all...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

kilty55

Arms
TF
edinburgh

Thread Information

Title
adding an employee part time
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.