Discuss Addy going off too fast in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

justinisaac

Hi all

Bought a couple of bags of Gran-fix flexible addy to finish off a project - the previous ones were fine but these two are going off incredibly fast. To give it some perspective, I usually make a mix using about a litre of water, which in this case gives me enough time to get about ten to twelve medium sized tiles on the wall. This stuff is going off in about 5 mins which doesn't leave me much working time.

I took it back to my local tile place and the chap behind the counter told me that it was going off too fast because I used an electric mixer and the heat generated by the friction was causing the addy to go off quicker! He told me that 'lots of tilers' had had similar problems and suggested I use a stick to mix from now on.

Now, I admit that I've been out of the loop for four years due to a diversion into the restaurant business, but I'm fairly sure that in that period everyone's not gone back to mixing addy with a stick! Not to mention that on the bag it says 'mix either manually or with a mixer'.

I pointed out that I've been using the same drill and mixer attatchment, on low rpm for about fifteen years and have never had this problem, but he seemed convinced that it was my mixing technique...

I used cold tap water, the bathroom is about 16 to 18 degrees with no direct sunlight and I used a clean bucket every time. I made a scoop that when filled level four times and added to 1 ltr of water, makes a nice workable mix. The date on the bag is Jan 2015 but the Gran-fix website says it's fine until a year after that date...

Has anyone heard of this problem before? To be honest I felt a bit let down by the sales chap - I've spent quite a bit with them over the last six months and I thought it was a fairly clear case of duff adhesive...
Anyway, for now I'm just mixing a small mix by hand, enough for 2 tiles. Only a few metres left so not a major problem...

Cheers!
Justin

S

Stef

'Had' to use mapie rapidset the other day as customer supplied mats but i bet its months since I've used a rspf apart from sticking hardi down and forgotten just how fast you had to work..no time for cuts n drilling holes carting tiles about n drinking tea, standardset is a godsend..:)

I buy a pallet of SetaFlex at a time now, 30 white SetaFlex & 20 grey rapid.
Standard SetaFlex is a brilliant adhesive.

TJ, I had the adhesive in the bucket in the van over night, it's just too cold for it to set, no point in waste..
Remember I'm Scottish.. [emoji6]

S

Stef

I'm certain any spec of tile adhesive wouldn't state you can mix it one day,leave it in your van then use it the next day

What it will say is that once mixed it will have a pot life of 5hrs.
These are temperature dependant on 20 degrees. If it's 2 degrees in my van then what will happen to the addy?
It won't go off & has a longer open time, a lot longer.

Reply to Addy going off too fast in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB