Discuss Addy going off too fast in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

If the adhesive is still "live" i.e hasn't gone off, I don't think there's a time limit.

Correct. Adhesive cures under chemical reaction & until it goes off then that chemical reaction isn't happening.
View attachment 60620

Top left tiles, 5/6 tiles are fixed with said addy, can come & dig out grout & try & lift them.
If you can I will pay you all your time, effort & travelling time etc.
That's how confident I am that they tiles won't budge.

S

Stef

So this thread started off
With a bad batch of gran fix
Then the tile guy got ripped a new a!.-hole for suggesting to use a mixing stick
Now we are mixing adhesive one day then using it the next
In cold and frosty conditions
Wow

Mix up a little bit of slow set addy & leave it outside & see how long that it takes to go off. You will be surprised.
Try it with rapid set also.
All drying times for addy are set at 20 degrees. What happens in the summer? Your rapid set will go off a lot quicker than it states on the bag so the exact opposite will happen in cold weather.

S

Stef

So unless you slept in your van last night you wouldn't know if it was frosty or not?

why take the chance with stuff that's been lying all night

It was 2 degrees here last night.
Your not taking a chance, if it spins up with a stick or scraper or paddle without adding any more water then it's still good to go.
It cures under chemical reaction & that reaction hasn't happened because the cold is delaying that process.
The exact opposite as in the summer as the heat speeds up that process.

S

Stef

I'm not saying you can do this with all adhesives but I've done it before with SetaFlex as it's got a long open time in cold weather.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427495659.364967.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427495690.765307.jpg

This is what it states on the bag, if I mix this up & haven't used it in 3hrs then i should bin it?
I should give up tiling as I'm too slow. [emoji1]

Reply to Addy going off too fast in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB