Discuss adhesive behind travertine tiles - this can't be right?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

joun

Hey all

Just got home to see how my walk in shower wall tiling is going - and was a bit shocked to see the way the adhesive has been used.

The tiles used are quite thick and heavy 60x40cm travertine tiles.

trav_adhesive1.jpg

trav_adhesive2.jpg

Now I understood the adhesive needs to be spread with a trowel pretty much across the surface area of the tile, fairly thin bed of adhesive.. These look like they've been dotted and dabbed here and there, using almost as thick bed of adhesive as the tile itself?

Is this right? It doesn't look very sturdy, and it looks as if the water gets through the grout, it will go straight down because there are such large gaps. Should I go back to the tiler to complain?

Can they be removed to re lay the tiles and spread the adhesive properly?

They're laid onto a Kerdi membrane which is stuck to green plasterboard.

Many thanks

J

joun

ok looks like some of the tiles have the dotted and dabbed adhesive like above, some have a bit more.. but doesn't look like it's ever been troweled throughout on the back. seems pretty inconsistent.

trav_adhesive3.jpg

has all the travertine gone to waste?

Is this going to be safe to use the shower with these tiles? Will I get water damage or tiles falling out? I insisted on Kerdi to be used after reading this forum about tiling showers and bought the membrane, but is only used in the walk in shower cubicle.. everywhere else in the bathroom behind the tiles is just plasterboard.

I'm trying to understand why he would have dotted and dabbed.. Should 3 x 20kg bags of mapei flexible adhesive have been enough for 3 walls in a 1400x900mm shower cubicle, walls tiled top to bottom? Ceiling is at 2m

thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to adhesive behind travertine tiles - this can't be right?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
adhesive behind travertine tiles - this can't be right??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.