Discuss adhesive behind travertine tiles - this can't be right?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
140 kilos of addy to do 6 sq metre? deary deary me

im not really sure how long your installtion will last joun im afraid,they have used a good addy but misused it

your floor should have been levelled with slc, im concerned they have maybe dot and dabbed your floor as well with giant blobs of addy if this is the case i would expect it to fail

i wouldnt let this crowd go any further,

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
yes joun,take pictures of everthing they have done and ask the main contractor(not the sub contracted tiler) to remove,re purchase all materials and re tile properly at his own cost or you will seek compensation through the courts. 140 kilos of adhesive for a 6 metre floor is unbeleivable,

it may not fail but if you let them continue like this and it does it will be more hassle at a later date,they are not doing this properly for you

the main contractor is the 1st port of call and he is liable to sort it,if he chooses to sort it then he can then seek to re claim from his sub contractor

G

Gazzer

In cases like these I always wonder what else these fixers have done that we cant see.
It is obvious that from one of the photos that there is more void than adhesive contact and that dot and dab has been used. This is not an approved method, Mapei will confirm this as will the TTA.
No doubt the excuse will be that this is the method they always use blah blah blah....Its still wrong.
Has the Kerdi membrane had the joints taped or overlapped ? It looks a bit rough to me from what I can see.
How thick was the adhesive on the floor ? They could have also exceeded the limits as stipulated by Mapei !

J

joun

talked to the tiler this morning, he said this is the way he's always laid tiles blah blah blah.

I called mapei and put them on speakerphone as they were explaining they would certainly not advise dot and dab, it's not the british standard and really need 95% adhesive coverage.

That shut him up for a bit, then he said it's politics. I told the contractor I don't want to see the tilers face again anywhere near me.

Now as how to resolve the situation.. There is about 30m2 total travertine laid. I don't obviously want to rip it all out, and I don't think the contractor has the money to pay for it.

What i was thinking of is these two options

1) use epoxy to grout the shower area to make sure no water gets in through the grouting. The tiles are quite big but is a place for a mosaic running in the middle, which will have a lot of grout. Would epoxy be a better choice than regular grout, seeng that there is a gap for water to run behind the tiles?

OR

2) rip out the tiles from the shower cubicle and redo that area, but leave them elsewhere to save money and effort

I guess the question is - will the tiles be safe left the way they are? I don't want them falling on my sons head when he's having a shower!!! The tiler says he's used about 50% coverage with the dot and dab

Thanks for all the replies

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

talked to the tiler this morning, he said this is the way he's always laid tiles blah blah blah.

I called mapei and put them on speakerphone as they were explaining they would certainly not advise dot and dab, it's not the british standard and really need 95% adhesive coverage.

That shut him up for a bit, then he said it's politics. I told the contractor I don't want to see the tilers face again anywhere near me.

Now as how to resolve the situation.. There is about 30m2 total travertine laid. I don't obviously want to rip it all out, and I don't think the contractor has the money to pay for it.

What i was thinking of is these two options

1) use epoxy to grout the shower area to make sure no water gets in through the grouting. The tiles are quite big but is a place for a mosaic running in the middle, which will have a lot of grout. Would epoxy be a better choice than regular grout, seeng that there is a gap for water to run behind the tiles?

OR

2) rip out the tiles from the shower cubicle and redo that area, but leave them elsewhere to save money and effort

I guess the question is - will the tiles be safe left the way they are? I don't want them falling on my sons head when he's having a shower!!! The tiler says he's used about 50% coverage with the dot and dab

1 epoxy grout may stop water through joints but wont improve the way the tiles are stuck

2 what you are suggesting may help but the whole lot needs replacing you are going to be charged for tile fixing but only half the job has been done and to accept this as finished is an insult to tilers
i wouldnt trust it and as stated earlier what other corners has he cut

does any involved have insurance id ask the question

Reply to adhesive behind travertine tiles - this can't be right?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
adhesive behind travertine tiles - this can't be right??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.