Discuss adhesive behind travertine tiles - this can't be right?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

joun

diamondtiling - I agree. I'm not in an ideal situation though, because the contractor is halfway through a major house refurb, with most of it paid upfront, and I don't want him walking out. So far the relationship is good with him and he is getting a better tiler in to finish the job.

I've got Kerdi behind the tiles and will get them to grout with epoxy, as well as replace the the tiles above head level. Would I be OK with that?

D

Deleted member 9966

hi Joun

regardless of grouting with epoxy and having a tanking system behind the tiles, if the dot and dab fixing method were to fail, who will you hold responsible for the failure. the professional members of this forum and Mapei technical have all emphasised that the fixing method used is completely wrong. The tiles need taking down and the room fitted from scratch to ensure it meets the required British Standards.

Now if your contractor in charge of your refurb does a bunk because you've already paid him up front and he doesn't want the hassle, then you must learn from this situation that you shouldn't pay for work before it's actually done and completed to the satisfactory standard.

You cannot compromise on the safety of your children. You need to tell the contractor that the whole lot must be removed and started again, and it will not be at your cost, it will be at his. If the contractor chooses to seek losses from the tiler then that is for him to pursue separately. You are the customer and you are paying for the job. The job has not been done correctly. Your contractor overseeing these works needs to be held accountible for this.

GRR

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
children in the home.....................DO NOT RISK HURTING THEM.

demand the contractor fixes this at his cost,its not your problem if you think he doesnt have the money...you say you have paifd him upfront for a house refurb so he clearly does have the money. anyway the minute you say your chasing him for the money through the courts you can bet your bottom dollar he will in turn seek compensation from the tiler in the same fashion

you have a very good case and i dont see how you cant win here...go for it and get it done properly

C

CJ CERAMICS

In my opinion the contractor is responsible for replacing all materials and tiles as he is the one who has employed the tiler....he then should recoup his costs from the tiler for poor fixing methods....and sorry joun but i have to agree with the others and say that you wil have to rip it out and do it properley if you want to have piece of mind every time you step into the shower.

chris

G

Gazzer

I told you in my 1st reply what he would say !
So he reckons he has 7mm of adhesive on a floor of 6m2 and he used how many bags ?? I assume they were 20kg bags. You could have done that area with one and half bags...but lets say 2 bags.....where has the rest gone ?? In his van ?
Epoxy will only give you a water tight joint, I guess it will be a nightmare to do as well. It wont stop water penetrating the tiles and with all those voids behind the tiles its a recipe for disaster in the future weeks/months or years ...who knows ?
Mapei were not talking politics....they were talking standards ! As will all other adhesive manufacturers.

Reply to adhesive behind travertine tiles - this can't be right?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
adhesive behind travertine tiles - this can't be right??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.