UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Adhesive/Grout etc to buy tomorrow.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kevg

Could one or two kind people do a little sanity check for me and just make sure I have not missed anything out ? I'm buying everything I need to do my rooms tomorrow.

Kitchen (concrete)

Floor - Concrete
Tiles - Porcelain
Membrane - Dural Ci or Shluter Ditra
Adhesive - Keraflex Maxi
Grout - Mapei Jasmine

Toilet - (concrete)

Floor - Concrete
Tiles - Porcelain
Membrane - Dural Ci or Shluter Ditra
Adhesive - Keraflex Maxi
Grout - Mapei Jasmine

With both of these floors being concrete, would I need a primer ?

Bathroom - (Woodchip)

Floor - Woodchip
Tiles - Marble
Membrane - Hardiebacker 6mm or something like Marmox
Adhesive - Keraflex Maxi
Grout - Mapei Jasmine

En-suite 1 - (Woodchip)

Floor - Woodchip
Tiles - Marble
Adhesive - Keraflex Maxi
Grout - Mapei Jasmine

Ensuite 2 - (Woodchip)

Floor - Woodchip
Tiles - Marble
Adhesive - Keraflex Maxi
Grout - Mapei Jasmine

With the upstairs rooms all having a cement based backer, I assume no primer needed for this ?

I'll also get some joint tape, screws etc that I'll need, but have I missed anything important out ?

K

kevg

Got the stuff I needed today. Will pick everything up when I move house very soon.

Was told I dont need any de-coupler for the concrete or chipboard. I got Latex Plus instead which according to Mapei, the Latex Plus with Keraquick is fine for tiling right on to Chipboard. And for concrete only Pro Flex is needed.

I assume this is ok ? Almost £1500 worth today, felt like I never bought much lol.

K

kevg

What I find is there is not a correct way that everyone adhere's to. Tile Giant tells me its fine to tile directly to the chipboard, Mapei says its fine to tile directly to chipboard as long as Latex Plus is used. Various people use backerboard then tile and others use backerboard and a membrane then tile.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find a method that will work for me and one that doesnt involve multiple layers upon layers of adhesive, backerboard and tile that will have my transition from one room to the other the size of a pavement step.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hiya kev i understand your getting frustrated

please do not tile to the chipboard just remove the thought right out your mind as imo it will end in tears
you dont need a membrane for your concrete floors, and i would just use a backerboard on the chipboard floors as long as they are solid

i use these methods in most installations you have described and never had an issue i hope this helps

D

DHTiling

What I find is there is not a correct way that everyone adhere's to. Tile Giant tells me its fine to tile directly to the chipboard, Mapei says its fine to tile directly to chipboard as long as Latex Plus is used. Various people use backerboard then tile and others use backerboard and a membrane then tile.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find a method that will work for me and one that doesnt involve multiple layers upon layers of adhesive, backerboard and tile that will have my transition from one room to the other the size of a pavement step.

Mapei say the adhesive can be used on chipboard.. i do not dispute that.. what i am saying is that the chipboard isn't a suitable substrate to tile directly too ..

It is time retailers and adhesive comps recognise this as well.. after all bs5385 does..??

K

kevg

Mapei say the adhesive can be used on chipboard.. i do not dispute that.. what i am saying is that the chipboard isn't a suitable substrate to tile directly too ..

It is time retailers and adhesive comps recognise this as well.. after all bs5385 does..??

Thanks Dave, I completely agree.

Would I get away with laying 6mm no more ply glued down to the chipboard and screwed ? Then tile directly onto that ?

Reply to Adhesive/Grout etc to buy tomorrow.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.