UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice needed for prepping walls around bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zaz

Hi all, first post - be gentle !

I had an hour searching through the boards and, while extremely usefull, i couldnt find what i was after so i thought best to post :)

I have a shower-over-bath arrangement, the walls around are fully tiled but looking a bit tired so i thought it'd be nice to redo the whole bathroom, the floor needs levelling anyway so its a good excuse to get my saw out :D

Anyhoo, i reckon its likely best to rip off the old tiles and dotted board underneath, bringing it back to bare breeze block. So, my questions are:

What is the cheapest method to reboard and tile around the bath, making it waterproof in doing so and what products should i be buying ?

Back in the days of being a pretend builder, we used to simply dot some standard boards on, use a bag of mix to tile and some waterproof grout but im not sure that really cuts the mustard.

Thoughts and advice please :D

I'll be using 20x25cm tiles with a varying mosaic strip dotted about.

Thanks in advance guys n gals

Z

zaz

The prices ive got are horrendous so im going to do it myself now, ive bought a load of JG speedfit stuff for pipe routing etc.

Problem now is deciding what materials to use for the job, im looking at:

Baton to bare block, fiddly for fixing/levelling but a better fix IMO
Hardie 12mm or Aquapanel 10mm backer boards (do i need a vapour barrier across the batons first, if so, will visqueen do?)
Either tanking or matting around the bath area
BAL white star for tiling
Anti-bac grout

I dont know what adhesive to use for matting or the method, i assume a tanking kit is all in one and with instructions, or which one i need (if either)
I dont know the best way to go about sealing the bath in, do i fit that first and seal up to the board, or tile then seal up to the tiles ? what sealant to use and is 1/4 trim advised where tiles meet bath ?
I assume where im sealing the basin up against tile that i need to sugarsoap the new tiles clean and dry properly before i use a sealant ?

Any advice greatly appreciated, cost is obviously a factor so whatever will seal things in nicely for the best material price is what im likely to use.

Z

zaz

Thanks for the tips. One last thing, if i decide to use something like homelux matting, is it as simple as sticking it on with the tile adhesive and make sure i overlap the joints ? there shouldnt really be any movement in the walls and im fixing to baton thats screwed into the walls and the matting should do the same job as tape in the corners.

Will save me approx 40 quid in materials if i do it that way.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice needed for prepping walls around bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Advice needed for prepping walls around bath
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.