UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice needed please- Substrate prep for floor tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Plumbing Tiler

Hi All, hope you are well and keeping busy,

On Monday I am starting a full bathroom refurb with tiles on the walls and floor, the house is about 12 years old and in the upstairs bathroom I am doing several of the current floor tiles have come loose and most of the grout is cracked and missing, and there seems to be some movement when you 'bounce' on the floor.

With this in mind I have allowed for a worst case scenario approach, thinking that as I am taking the (presumed) chipboard T&G floor up to re-route pipework to new positions anyway I can install some extra 'noggins' between the joists to further strengthen the floor, then lay either new chipboard or 18mm wbp ply down, sealed with SBR, then overlay with 6mm Hardiebacker, layed onto SPF addy, and screwed every 150mm, with the joints taped with HB scrim tape and with say 2mm expansion gaps between the boards, then either tile direct onto this OR lay a de-coupling membrane onto the Hardiebacker to further minimise any risk of any future movement, what would you lot recommend please?, I am aware that the Hardiebacker will not provide any extra strength as such to the substrate so is there any extra benefit in using the 12mm instead of the 6mm if that is the case?, obviously I am very keen to take this opportunity to rip out the old and get it dead right to ensure the loose tile/grout scenario is not repeated!

The floor tiles are 600 x 300 x 10mm Porcelain.

Thanks in advance everyone.

P

Plumbing Tiler

What size is the floor? If its a small area and you get rid of the deflection, then leave the de-coupler out of the equation. As for the other prep, extra noggins, 18mm ply, then 6mm hardie glued and screwed, all spot on.

Sorry I forgot to mention the size, its a pretty small room really, only 1800 x 2600 mm, with a bath, vanity basin, bidet and wc going in it, cheers.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice needed please- Substrate prep for floor tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.