Discuss Advice needed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Drjones

Hi All,

Having our bathroom tiled and fitted, we are 4 days in so far and its not looking great.

I tried to post up some images but as im a new user i cannot, a few problems i can see are:

They have cut the roof away to silde in a few tiles as roof curves towards the window. in corners on wall and roof some gaps are small and some you can fit you finger in, on the corner where two walls meet the tiles do not line up, on the same corner they have used two different size trims one of them is angled, tiles are not flush some go in and some out.

We have been assured that once grouted and sealed we will not notice and will be fine, but some cuts around worktop etc are really bad it seems?

Then bathroom wise: no trap on bath, shower pipes are loose behind the wall tiles, taps not straight and so on.

Floor has yet to be done, been prepared with 6mm marine ply and have spare wall tiles, they been 4 days on day rate and paid upto now. Have asked them about tiles not being flush and was told not to worry. Any advice on what to do? Should we let them grout and do floor you think? would another tiler be happy try fix things or would it need gutting and starting again? Or am i over reacting and may actually be ok when finished?

thanks for any opinions.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A6G6XBubcSDY9
images and video above

Last edited by a moderator:

nybor62

TF
rotherham
thx for pics , shocking i feel sorry for you, 6mm ply is no good for the floor to start with . am i reading correct you have paid them for 4 days .not good they need to put right the tiles not lining up imo . or get ya money back . if you can. dont let them touch the floor
4 days for that amount of tiling is shocking . imo should have agreed a price per m2 rate .
i hope you get this sorted . please let us know
also tile should have bean scribed tight to the ceiling

D

Drjones

Thanks for reply.

yes we have learnt the hard way it seems, first time we have had work on house done.

First was looking at 2-3 days as there is 2 if them, but already on 4 and can't see them finishing this weekend. I wouldn't trust them to put it right if they are not being paid, from the work they have done so far being paid.

If we can line up that wall and do the trim, we have 16 spare wall tiles so could fix some bad cuts, at least floor can be done well. where tiling is down to floor are we stuck changing the 6mm to something else?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Do not let them carry on working, the tiles look as though they have been fixed onto painted walls as well. You can see a greeny blue colour through the joints.

The fact that they have clearly have not used a datum line to start from a level around the room means that the joints do not line up as they meet around the corner.

Why have they left such large expansion joints where the tiles meet? Should be 2mm not 10mm.

The joint between the bath and tiles is far too big! Were they planning on just filling it with silicon or grout?

The list is endless. How did you come across these 'tilers'? Were they recommended or did you just pluck them out of the Yellow Pages? Probably more homework on your behalf prior to employing these guys. Easy to say now, but hope it all works out for you.

D

Drjones

These were recommended as were fitters for a bathroom company supposedly, we did question gaps and uneven tiles when noticed and was told all gaps etc will be sealed and grouted and said "you won't notice any imperfections with gaps and uneven tiles once grouted`"

This corner is a cutout from a bedroom where boiler is situated.

Before they came in we stripped the room and yes were painted walls behind wallpaper which we took off.

the adhesive is mapei - super flexible put a picture on pictures

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A6G6XBubcSDY9

Do you think using this some tiles can be saved?

Reply to Advice needed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey All, So we're in the midst of a project and it's been interesting. Is there a type of edging...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB