Discuss Advice needed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
that does sound like a good plan will confront them tomorrow see what happens.

I also have a kitchen floor and hallway which needs doing, this was going to go to them but no way now lol - tiling area around 17sqm 600x600 porcine tiles.

once we know where we stand will look at going forward, all your responses and advice have been a great help, thanks for your time.
Really feel for you.
At least you have realised about the bath before the bathroom us finished.
Was the bathroom and fitter from b&q ?

T

Time's Ran Out

You won't save any tiles, the walls will need repair, you have to pay for the chipped bath to be repaired, you've lost £ 1300, the 2 trims of different thickness on the corner is just criminal ( you can buy 2.4 linear metre lengths) and they are just going to walk away!!
I'd certainly get shot of them but not before you get them to reinstate everything to the way it was or you should involve Trading Standards.

Q

Qwerty

I'd certainly get shot of them but not before you get them to reinstate everything to the way it was or you should involve Trading Standards.

That is a good shout TJ. I'm a trading standards approved tradesman (Buy With Confidence scheme) and after having spoken to them several times and using them myself for other matters it is well worth giving them a go. Won't cost anything

D

Drjones

That is a good shout TJ. I'm a trading standards approved tradesman (Buy With Confidence scheme) and after having spoken to them several times and using them myself for other matters it is well worth giving them a go. Won't cost anything

So tell them to come back and put it back to empty room? I'm worried they will just smash off all tiles ruin the walls, damage the lights extractor etc and make the job worse and cost more?

T

Time's Ran Out

Ask for a portfolio and references this time, or try a tiler on here local to you. No one from the forum would want you to come back complaining about their work so you should get a decent job.
There is a section to advertise and ask for a couple of estimates, you could then feature the job through another thread and we could all pick faults.:lol: After all that's what we are here for - so you get a good job done at a reasonable price.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Luton
Sometime happend!!! I see too much jobs done worst then this one payed,and too much tilers with 3,4 years experience do like this.Must learn to check the skiled lads for any job.Never a handyman can do a perfect job,but many customers trust in his handyman,can do all in his house.A tiler is after minimum 5 years day by day in site work with a experienced tilers.Who think is smart and can learn in 2 weeks time,do the same mistake for a couple of years,and never learn too much by himself.In this case,I think if change all tiles in corners and some bad in the top can be a decent bathroom.Maybe one day for one real tiler can save something.About money back is not right to ask.This guys work for 4 days,if the customers see something wrong in the first day,just ask to fixed or leave.Not after 4 days.If is tiler you can see after 1 hour,not need to let him 4 days and do all bathroom wrong.If the customer was happy to pay day work and think is better then have a good tiler who is expensive like doctor,this is what received,need live with this.This guys try to do some money and work hard,the problem was no experience in tiling,why ask him to work for free now after 4 days?Is not fair.

D

Drjones

Simons70, i can see what your saying.

Problem was the first 2 days they only had 3 tiles on the back wall so had nothing to go by on how job was going to pan out. On the 3rd day expressed concerns about uneven tiles to be told will be fine when grouted and not to worry as this is standard practise, its not going to look good until its finished. By the end of the 4th day that evening upon a close inspection we could see many problems and looking at images of grouted tiles which have been put up bad become obvious that it would not be ok (specially as tiles are grey and grout is white)

We have accepted whats has gone on and looking forward to getting it rectified now. As per last post, in need of an independent view on the job as it is before moving forward.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Luton
Mr Jones;Maybe for a customer is not easy to see if is tiler or not,this can be the reason for let the guys work 1 or 2 days.But if you see something wrong,like the trim fitted,just let the guys know you don't pay for this cowboy job.Or the corners whit big gap.Just tell to make right or take out and leave.No point to let him destroy all bathroom.We are in Birmingham next week at Ramada Hotel,If noone help you from local tilers,I can come and give you the right price for have this bathroom acceptable,not perfect.

nybor62

TF
rotherham
Mr Jones;Maybe for a customer is not easy to see if is tiler or not,this can be the reason for let the guys work 1 or 2 days.But if you see something wrong,like the trim fitted,just let the guys know you don't pay for this cowboy job.Or the corners whit big gap.Just tell to make right or take out and leave.No point to let him destroy all bathroom.We are in Birmingham next week at Ramada Hotel,If noone help you from local tilers,I can come and give you the right price for have this bathroom acceptable,not perfect.

acceptable you say . lol . quit the drinking

T

Time's Ran Out

Simons70 - I can hardly agree with anything you posted above! You suggest changing the tiles in the corner and it will give a decent bathroom! The customer is paying for a professional job not work of this standard and they will do it time and time again if you allow them to get away with it!
However your last comment just about sums it up - if you do it, it will be 'acceptable, not perfect'!

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Luton
Simons70 - I can hardly agree with anything you posted above! You suggest changing the tiles in the corner and it will give a decent bathroom! The customer is paying for a professional job not work of this standard and they will do it time and time again if you allow them to get away with it!
However your last comment just about sums it up - if you do it, it will be 'acceptable, not perfect'!
The customer pay 500£ for 4 days,mind 55£ a day work,this is not price for proffesional tiler,honestly a laborer ask more money just for clean the site,no responsability.I just suggest to give him some tricks for have a decent bathroom,if I see the job,I never intend to do this job,I just try to help him to save some money,like want;''who would be willing to come out and give us an independent view on problems and costs to put things right '',and not take out all and do again.What you expect with 55£ a day??Just a decent blade cost this money....

D

Drjones

The customer pay 500£ for 4 days,mind 55£ a day work,this is not price for proffesional tiler,honestly a laborer ask more money just for clean the site,no responsability.I just suggest to give him some tricks for have a decent bathroom,if I see the job,I never intend to do this job,I just try to help him to save some money,like want;''who would be willing to come out and give us an independent view on problems and costs to put things right '',and not take out all and do again.What you expect with 55£ a day??Just a decent blade cost this money....

Sorry if that seemed misleading, when i asked that, this is meant for my documentation purposes only, this bathroom will be gutted and redone from start to finish.

Reply to Advice needed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey All, So we're in the midst of a project and it's been interesting. Is there a type of edging...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB