Discuss Advice Needed? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

HardTarget

Hope someone can advise me on the best way to go about two tiling jobs I need to do at home. First I want to tile over an old 1930's quarry tiled kitchen floor. I don’t want to remove it, which I know would be the proper way to guarantee a perfect job; instead I am hoping I can tile over it? I have read various ways, but confused even more. The floor is solid and dry and if I'm honest a shame to tile over, but the wife wants a modern porcelain tile. I have read a lot about using an uncoupling membrane called Schluter Ditra. Would this be overkill? If I was to use this what adhesives would I need to fix the ditra to the quarry tile and also the porcelain on top of the ditra? Do I need to prime the quarry tiles before laying the tiles?

The second job I need to tile the bathroom, which I have already taken up all the old floorboards and have replace with 18mm marine ply, which I had left over from another job. Basically the same questions as the quarry tiled floor. Do I need to use anything between the ply floor and tiles and if so what would you guys recommend including adhesives and any primers? Really appreciate any advice guys as I have posted a similar post elsewhere and not a single reply L

Jimmy

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hope someone can advise me on the best way to go about two tiling jobs I need to do at home. First I want to tile over an old 1930's quarry tiled kitchen floor. I don’t want to remove it, which I know would be the proper way to guarantee a perfect job; instead I am hoping I can tile over it? I have read various ways, but confused even more. The floor is solid and dry and if I'm honest a shame to tile over, but the wife wants a modern porcelain tile. I have read a lot about using an uncoupling membrane called Schluter Ditra. Would this be overkill? If I was to use this what adhesives would I need to fix the ditra to the quarry tile and also the porcelain on top of the ditra? Do I need to prime the quarry tiles before laying the tiles?

The second job I need to tile the bathroom, which I have already taken up all the old floorboards and have replace with 18mm marine ply, which I had left over from another job. Basically the same questions as the quarry tiled floor. Do I need to use anything between the ply floor and tiles and if so what would you guys recommend including adhesives and any primers? Really appreciate any advice guys as I have posted a similar post elsewhere and not a single reply L

Jimmy
If your quarries are fine and have no cracks then perhaps tile as is.

Have you pulled up the odd one to test how they're fixed?

The bathroom I'd perhaps use a tile backer board. Lads might correct me.

H

HardTarget

If your quarries are fine and have no cracks then perhaps tile as is.

Have you pulled up the odd one to test how they're fixed?

The bathroom I'd perhaps use a tile backer board. Lads might correct me.

Hi Dan, there is one corner that the plumber drilled to get his pipes through and it lifted a tile and from what I could see it was some sort of black morta. The other tiles seem solid when tapped no hollow sounds and no cracks. Shame really to tile over :(

H

HardTarget

2014-04-19-367.jpg
IMG00736-20130725-1454.jpg
Personally I'd refurb and restore them but if the mrs is involved it's not happening we may as well all give up that one.

Got any pictures?
Not sure if I have done the pictures right?

H

HardTarget

Jimmy

H

HardTarget

It’s the original floor I think? They have done some sort of alteration to the kitchen side door entrance step in the past.

I have done a total refurb on the house and would love to keep the tiles, but she who must be obeyed wants new porcelain tiles she has seen at topps tiles. :rolleyes:

The lads at work reckon I can just go over them using a flexible adhesive, but I’m worried about problems with movement or possibly damp and don’t mind going the extra if it helps, but so many ways and adhesives it’s confusing to say the least.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
The black underneath could be a bitumen DPM.
As for the tiles , I'd personalall clean them to remove any old sealer and cleaning products that have built up over the yrs.

Then I'd fix the likes of Ditra over the floor , this prevents stress from the old floor transferring to the new floor and the old tiles will expand at a different rate and could cause issues.

But only you can decide if the old floor is suitable to tile over as we cannot see what you do.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You need to be 100% sure they're fixed well so try get a few up. Doesn't matter if you make a mess if you're tiling it anyway.

I'd then soapy-water them. Dry them. Prime them. And tile them with a single-part flexible adhesive with no ditra. There's not going to be movement in those. They're very well settled I'd have thought.

Using a flexible adhesive means you'll take into account any lateral expansion and retraction differences in the two tiles. Which I'd assume wouldn't be much. Porcelain wont move much. And decades old quarries wouldn't either. Even fired at thousands of degrees quarries don't expand much.

H

HardTarget

I've seen streams under houses that old. And when the floor came up the substrate slowly washed away.
Streams! :eek:

I know from putting in the new water mains in with the plumber that the ground was rock hard clay down to 40" (main road to side of the house). The tile that came away when the plumber placed his pipes through I dug down through the black mortar and it was a light sand colour and quite easy to dig up. What adhesives/primers would you recommend? What about the bathroom Dan, would I be better with Ditra or similar or should I prime the ply and tile straight on top?

O

Old Mod

Streams! :eek:

I know from putting in the new water mains in with the plumber that the ground was rock hard clay down to 40" (main road to side of the house). The tile that came away when the plumber placed his pipes through I dug down through the black mortar and it was a light sand colour and quite easy to dig up. What adhesives/primers would you recommend? What about the bathroom Dan, would I be better with Ditra or similar or should I prime the ply and tile straight on top?

Prime ply as per adhesive reccomendations and install Ditra and tile.
Any timber substrate is subject to deformation due to expansion and contraction due to temperature change and/or moisture.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
So quarries: Advice Needed?
Bathroom: Advice Needed? | Page 2

Looks like you could do with a decent Ditra supplier. :D

But I'm worried now about the brown stuff. If you don't touch it or mess with it and none of it is showing, and the plumber is alive still (I shouldn't joke!) then perhaps tile over it and just don't disturb it just in case. Warn the owners perhaps. See what they'd like to do about it.

Ask the lads at work see what they'd do :D :D haha

J

Just Rizzle

if the tiles have been down since the house was built then taking them up could open a can of worms and cost u a lot of money lay a decoupling membrain over the tiles ditra is the best but others are available make sure the membrin is water proof as some times these tiles are the dpm. as dave said the membrain eleviates any lateral stresses from the floor benieth but I wouldn't worry about expansion as theres no ufh to stick the membrain to the floor I would use a S2 addy such as tilemasters ultimate I would also recommend it for adhearing the tiles to the membrain prime first with tile masters primer. iwould also do the same for the bathroom floor same addys prime 1st good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice Needed? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB