UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice on adhesive fault/failure please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zoeoutside

Dear all

I would very much appreciate your input into the following situation:

Thurs/Fri morning - tiles put on wall using 3 bags of a store's own brand powder adhesive which is supposed to set in 2 hours

Fri - late afternoon, grouting

Monday morning - polish grout off, see that tiles have slipped - wonky uneven grout lines (as opposed to Friday) plus significant lippage. Excess adhesive put to one side to harden before disposal is like silly putty - nowhere near going off. (The excess eventually hardened after 10 days.)

Various tiles taken off wall - it appears that 1/3 of tiles stuck no problem, on the other 2/3s, the adhesive was as unset as that left out.

Two of the adhesive bags had the same batch/manufacturer code, one was different.

Tiles put on by professional tiler.

Do you think that a reasonable conclusion might be that the two matching code bags were faulty? Store is adamant that their adhesive is not at fault.

Many thanks

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Dear all

I would very much appreciate your input into the following situation:

Thurs/Fri morning - tiles put on wall using 3 bags of a store's own brand powder adhesive which is supposed to set in 2 hours

Fri - late afternoon, grouting

Monday morning - polish grout off, see that tiles have slipped - wonky uneven grout lines (as opposed to Friday) plus significant lippage. Excess adhesive put to one side to harden before disposal is like silly putty - nowhere near going off. (The excess eventually hardened after 10 days.)

Various tiles taken off wall - it appears that 1/3 of tiles stuck no problem, on the other 2/3s, the adhesive was as unset as that left out.

Two of the adhesive bags had the same batch/manufacturer code, one was different.

Tiles put on by professional tiler.

Do you think that a reasonable conclusion might be that the two matching code bags were faulty? Store is adamant that their adhesive is not at fault.

Many thanks
ask store to send a samplele to ceram and you will do the same give them a sample and ask them to sign your sample tell them you want all cost to be rebursed if falt is found and to compasate you for all the trouble on top should do the trick

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Zoeoutside, your location is England. North or South? Is your tiled wall inside or outside? Is it very cold where this tiling took place?
Maybe the adhesive is faulty.
Maybe the adhesive was not mixed correctly.
Maybe it was too cold to tile........if it was below 5 degrees C then it is too cold.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers
Sean

Z

zoeoutside

Hi Sean, down in south, definitely nowhere near as low as 5 degrees, inside walls both, one guy did all the work, mixing and tiling. I just find it somewhat suspicious that with 3 bags, 2 with matching codes/date, 2/3s of the tiles did not stick properly and the leftover adhesive had not gone off - not so much as a crust on it 3 days later. The tiles that DID stick were the first to go on.

My suspicion is 2 bags of faulty adhesive, but store is not having it.

During the day window was open, evening/night heating on. Leftover adhesive STILL unset after over a week, again evening/night heating on.

Z

zoeoutside

Philip and David, sorry for being a bit cagey, but don't want to prejudice anything if we end up going down the legal route to claim costs. Store already sent for testing to their supplier and we were told first that they had tested it and there was no problem, second that they couldn't test it because it had set and third, back to tested and no problem. This was straight from the manufacturer.

Ray suggested sending to CERAM for testing which I will look into, but see that on their website they say they don't deal with the public, so will have to ask builder (who employed tiler) to do that. Does anyone have an idea of how much they charge?

Thanks

Z

zoeoutside

Sir Ramic, I really don't mean to try and make it difficult for people. I just am wary of naming the brand at the moment as we are still going back and forth with the store trying to sort this out and I don't want to prejudice any chance of that happening.

Basically I'm trying to find out if there is any other reasonable explanation other than the adhesive being faulty. Members have been very helpful, pointing out areas to question - temperature (ruled out), damp (ruled out).

Other than the actual brand name, is there any more information I can provide?

Thank you

Reply to Advice on adhesive fault/failure please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
need eyes in the back of your head. Using Norcros NX standard set floor tile adhesive. After an...
Replies
Views
After some advice please..... We have approx. 50sq m of Dijon limestone 600 x 90 x15mm and also...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.