Discuss Advice please.....ceramic tiles, chipboard floor, cracked grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Here to learn!

Really appreciate your time.....

I completed a 22sqm kitchen floor a few months ago, ceramic tiles on approx 1.5 inch thick chipboard. I used 2 part flexi adhesive and Bal super flex grout.

The grout in a couple of areas has cracked along several tiles and 2/3 of the tiles do have a bit of movement in the corners which i presume has caused the grout to crack. One of the tiles makes an occasional click sound when trood on.

I'm guessing the tiles with a bit of movement in the corners may not have had enough adhesive behind them...and after a bit of traffic has started moving.... causing the grout to progressively crack

I'm planning on lifting prob 2sqm of the tiles up, removing all adhesive, making sure the chipboard is sufficiently screwed down and carefully re-applying........

a) does this sound like where I went wrong

AND

b) has any one got any advice or recommendations.

Admittedly in hindsight a ply lining would of been beneficial but the chip board is thick. AND reading the back of the Bal Superflex it says suitable for low traffic areas...this is only a domestic kitchen - would i of needed something suitable for higher traffic? or a grout additive?

The chipboard has been down along time, is in good condition and previously had tiles on with no cracks.

Once again any advice or comments are very much appreciated. Thanks alot, Danny

G

garretridge

sorry to tell you but very likely it will all start to come up over time as chipboard is not mechanically sound enough to tile on if it gets wet it will be like tiling on wetabix :thumbsdown:. you should have glued and screwed no more ply or backerboards down on the chipboard then you would have a stable surface to tile on and you never would have problems your adhesive choice and grout is fine just not the surface below i would lift and redo properly sorry for the bad news but its the only way to do it right!:thumbsup:

E

easyt

Whilst none of theses tilers would choose to tile on chipboard it is thick and might have even been well sealed. If it survived before it should work again in my view. I know little about the adhesive choice but I would not class a kitchen as lightly trafficked in a domestic sense. I would have said the kitchen gets the most foot traffic of any room in a house.

I have tiled on chipboard, in a kitchen-diner some 30 years ago for a friend. He moved out when the tiles had been down about 14 years. No problems. I wasn't to happy abour doing it, but the units were in place, he had bought the tiles nearly 12 months earlier and with threshold levels there was little practical choice. I remember that we sounded out the flooring with a hammer ;) and took up an area in the dining section - think we put some extra supports and noggins in that area. Fitted additional screws and gave the floor 3 coats of varnish from a local shop that was closing down and selling off stock really cheap.

The really worrying thing though, for you, is that any tiles should be showing signs of failing so early. I suppose that, under the circumstances, you only have one sensible option. Replace the failing area and then suck it and see.

Reply to Advice please.....ceramic tiles, chipboard floor, cracked grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Advice please.....ceramic tiles, chipboard floor, cracked grout
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.