Discuss Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
I fit bathrooms for a living which makes me a 'multi-trader'.....you can be 'more than' competent at multiple things you know!

Lakey, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I believe in being the master in 1 trade. I can do plumbing, joinery and electrical work ( obviously I get my electrician out to check and sign off ANY electrical work I carry out). This all started at the recession as I wasn't working and all my best mates were. They are joiners, sparkys, plumbers and plasterers. I don't touch gas works, not gas registered. But typically speaking I would rather lose money and save face than try and do another trade on a customers house.

I am not trying to say tradesman can't be multi skilled but typically plumbers are good at plumbing, tilers are good at tiling, plasterers are good at plasterering, so on and so forth. My dad is a builder he is multi skilled. Great at tiling, plastering, electrics (NICEIC registered) and plumbing but he is absolutely pish ***** at joinery work. So much so, he never touches joinery work.

The point I am making is everyone has an Achilles heel, something they aren't good at. In my opinion no one can truly be top notch in every aspect of building work.

I also do bathroom renewals. I always get other trades in. Always! Typically I carry a joiner, plumber (gas safe registered), plaster, electrician (NICEIC registered) and a Tiler (myself or one of my guys). In my opinion it is much better to spread yourself over 3 to 4 jobs as appose to 5-6 guys tripping over each other on the 1 job.

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
I fit bathrooms for a living which makes me a 'multi-trader'.....you can be 'more than' competent at multiple things you know!

Lakey, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I believe in being the master in 1 trade. I can do plumbing, joinery and electrical work ( obviously I get my electrician out to check and sign off ANY electrical work I carry out). This all started at the recession as I wasn't working and all my best mates were. They are joiners, sparkys, plumbers and plasterers. I don't touch gas works, not gas registered. But typically speaking I would rather lose money and save face than try and do another trade on a customers house.

I am not trying to say tradesman can't be multi skilled but typically plumbers are good at plumbing, tilers are good at tiling, plasterers are good at plasterering, so on and so forth. My dad is a builder he is multi skilled. Great at tiling, plastering, electrics (NICEIC registered) and plumbing but he is absolutely pish ***** at joinery work. So much so he never touches joinery work.

The point I am making is everyone has a

I

Italy

talking to honestly, I 50 years, I saw the first tile I was 10..
right now every day there are new, glues, fillers, primers, tiles of all types, that's 50 years many times I'm in trouble and I just laying tile.
Now, I wonder how one person can do an excellent job making plumber, electrician, carpenter, bricklayer, painter etc.etc.
always be a job + or - good ...... more -
This is my thinking, no offense to anyone :)

M

Meddler

Dynamictiling has hit the nail on the head. The key is knowing what you can do and not tackling jobs you cant do or are “pish *****” at. Unfortunately, many trades either dont know they are doing a ***** job or don’t care.

It’s the details that make a good job stand out. It goes without saying that a good trade works expediently but, for example, a good plumber can not only join lengths of pipe but also arranges them in a neat and methodical manner. Similarly, a good tiler avoids the unsightly corners and will look at this work and “tweak” a gap to ensure it looks right – unlike the examples illustrated this week !.

It is so easy to set up in a trade these days (being successful is a different matter) and many clients are unaware of the standards to expect. If only more customers were aware of reasonable standards and were unwilling to put up with poor workmanship it would help raise standards all round.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I actually quoted one of the bad tiling threads on the forum and left my plumbers number with the customer. ...He could of had a tiler with 34 years experience and a plumber with 40 years experience instead he's ended up with an unsatisfactory job..
I would say 99% of bad tiling is done by crossover trades.
Some trades need to realise when there out of there depth, just doing an average d.I.y job, just isn't exceptable to a paying customer.
And customers need to do more research, choose the right trade for the right job.......and don't put up with tiling that's not to a high standered ...

J

javeiro

This is what the floor tile grout looks like after 2 days. Rubs off on my finger. What's gone on here ??????

image.jpeg image.jpeg

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
I would say the tiles are loss, causing excessive movement and ultimately the grout is failing.

Try 'chapping' the tile with your knuckles or a rubber hammer. If the tiles move or make a ping noise they haven't been fitted right. A few things can cause this- tiles not installed properly, plywood not fixed to the floor properly or wrong adhesive used.

Grout cracking like that after two days is bad news. Sorry

J

javeiro

I would say the tiles are loss, causing excessive movement and ultimately the grout is failing.

Try 'chapping' the tile with your knuckles or a rubber hammer. If the tiles move or make a ping noise they haven't been fitted right. A few things can cause this- tiles not installed properly, plywood not fixed to the floor properly or wrong adhesive used.

yes they do move slightly. He told me a flexible adhesive was used on the tiles

J

javeiro

Pull a loose tile up and let's see a photo of the back of the tile and the floor where it was lifted from? Pretty sure I can guess what you'll find. If you simply let him regroup it tomorrow, then it'll be a total waste of time.
Your wish is my command. Here are some photos of under the tile. The water is because I wet the floor to clean it.

IMG_4149.JPG IMG_4150.JPG IMG_4151.JPG

Reply to Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time I’m posting 👋🏽 I’m after some advice please. Is this area going to need...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB