Discuss Advice Please: Is Travertine Unusually Expensive to Lay? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

IvegotsTILE

If you say "He QUOTED you the price to lay STONE flooring" then A. Travertine is stone so he can't get out of that one and B. Quoted you the price,not an estimate then he has to honour the price by law(I think).
I personally would never quote until I knew the tile,as said before though travertine is one of the easier stones in my opinion.Its not like you've turned up with uncalibrated slate.
Most builders aren't tilers,as said before do you want someone whos not confident laying your expensive tiles,its too late once they're down.Make him pay for a tiler.
Good luck.

M

mgoodw

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread - it gave me the information that I needed to resolve the situation that I faced.

The outcome was as follows; we got 4 quotes from professional floor tilers and went with the cheapest (although that was still 3x what the builder had allowed for when pricing the overall job).

With the help of the information supplied to me via this forum I was able to convince the builder that he had made a mistake in his quotation and that the additional cost has not arisen due to my choice of stone. However, as it was a genuine mistake and the work has been completed properly to a high standard (rather than being bodged to fit the original budget) I will make a contribution towards the paying cost-overrun.

Conclusion; everyone is (more or less) happy.

Thanks again for the inputs that I received.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice Please: Is Travertine Unusually Expensive to Lay? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, hoping for some advice.... Had a anhydrite screed laid early Feb. Looking at laying 20mm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Advice Please: Is Travertine Unusually Expensive to Lay?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.