UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advise on Insulated Undefloor Heating Installation & Engineered Wood Flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TTemmy

Hello Helpful Ones Yonda

I hope I can get some help on various questions. I am trying to install engineered wood flooring (EWF) mainly on dry concrete subfloor in new build house of 13 years old, seems pretty dry under the carpet. I will be putting down as well insulation on the concrete floor before the UFH and then the EWF. My planned configuration is as follows:
1. Lay moisture barrier all round (living and dining rooms) - Q1 - Is this still needed using claimed "waterproof" products below?
2. Lay insulation - considering Marmox Board or Fastwarm Lite or Marmox 10mm board. Q2 - Which product is best and longer lasting from experience? Q3 - Do I really need to bed the insulation on flexible adhesive as manufacturer seems to expect this for tiled floors but not specific on wooden floors? I prefer to simply lay the boards, seal gaps in between with acrylic/silicon sealant and join with reinforced tape for the EWF area.
3. Lay the WarmUp Foil Heating on top of insulation
4. Cover with vapour barrier
5. Finally float the EWF using tongue and groove glue method

I am having to project manage as I can't seem to get any supplier to provide the heating and flooring plus installation together. The closest I got are two suppliers that do not seem to fully understand what is needed (one spoke of duralay underlay with my type of UFH, which is not possible and in any case, underlay is not insulation) yet charged ridiculous prices.

Other questions I have (please pardon me I'm a newbie, like things done properly, very poor at DIY and need a strong helping hand):

Q4 - Which is best - lacquered or natural oiled EWF?
Q5 - Can lacquered pre-finished floor be later sanded and instead of being relacquered, converted to natural oiled floor?
Q6 - Is walnut inferior to oak in terms of wear? If so, how far apart are they? I hear different versions from suppliers - walnut is harder wearing, oak is, etc.
Q7 - Which is the better one to go for - birchply backing or softwood/poplar/pine?

Thank you.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advise on Insulated Undefloor Heating Installation & Engineered Wood Flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Advise on Insulated Undefloor Heating Installation & Engineered Wood Flooring
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.