Search the forum,

Discuss All great except silicone! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

ck-

Hi all, This is my first post on here so please be gentle!

I am a reasonably competent DIYer (although I suppose everyone says that) so I decided to have a go at an upstairs wetroom. Actually it's more of a shower cubicle, but wetroom sounds more fashionable, and it's rather an unusual shape, so cubicle just doesn't do it justice.

I think I did everything correctly:
- Reinforced the joists. Everything so solid that jumping up and down on the floor hurt my feet there was so little flex.
- Made sure all floorboards fixed down.
- Fixed exterior grade plywood over the top of the floorboards.
- Used flexible adhesive to fix the custom built floor. This has the correct falls in place, and a trap.
- Used tape (rubber and mesh) to bridge the gap between the floor and the walls. Sealed this with rubber sealant - specified for wet room tanking.
- Fitted non-slip porcelain the floor tiles, having carefully cut them to follow the fall lines in the floor, using Bal waterproof adhesive (I can check the exact details if necessary)
- Fitted wall tiles also using waterproof adhesive. I believe both adhesives are cement based.
- Grouted the walls
- Grouted the floor.

And here is where the problem is. I understand that to get the best possible seal, you should not grout into the corners, but instead should use silicon sealant. I have done a reasonable job of it neatness wise using tape to get a clean edge, and smoothing it into place with a finger dipped in water and washing up liquid, but the silicon just won't seem to stick to the floor tiles, and water gets behind it. It doesn't go anywhere because of the tanking, but I'd rather it wasn't happening.

So my questions after all that are:
Why is the silicon not sticking to the porcelain floor tiles - it seems OK on the ceramic wall tiles?
Should I try a different silicon (I used clear unibond shower and bathroom sealant) or should I just take all the silicon out and grout into the corners?

Thanks ever so much if anyone has any ideas. I can send some photographs if that would help.

G

Gazzer

As Dave would say " we love photographs" so yes please.
I would get some decent silicone firstly, Bal or Mapei are great. Mapei have a great colour range and its good stuff to use.
Maybe you should remove all the silicone and use CornerTape
All the best and dont forget the piccies:thumbsup:

C

ck-

As Dave would say " we love photographs" so yes please.
I would get some decent silicone firstly, Bal or Mapei are great. Mapei have a great colour range and its good stuff to use.
Maybe you should remove all the silicone and use CornerTape
All the best and dont forget the piccies:thumbsup:

Thanks for the friendly first reply :yes:
Attached are some piccies. Note that the final grout is not in place on any of these. They just show the tanking taking shape.

I'll take one of the finished grouted floor and add that later.

img_0025.jpg

img_0029.jpg

img_0034.jpg

img_0038.jpg

img_0043.jpg

C

ck-

And two pictures of the sealant. Looks worse on the photograph than it does in real-life.

Attachments

• img_0094.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 145
  • img_0095.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 142
G

GazTech

ck-, we have an anti bacterial sealant the same colour grey....this would suit better....Gaz
BAL Microseal
microseal.jpg

A unique, high performance, waterproof and mould-resistant silicone sealant especially formulated with built in Microban® antibacterial protection, to inhibit the growth of black mould and bacteria, such as Listeria, Salmonella and E-Coli. For interior and exterior use. Bonds to glass, ceramic, acrylic, fibreglass and glazed or painted surfaces.

G

gonk31

some tiles now have a waxy coating sprayed on prior to being boxed to prevent scratching that generally needs cleaning off after laying if this is the case then it could be that the silicone is just sticking to the wax and not bonding to the tile, not sure if this is deffo the case but it is a possibility. But i do agree that a decent silicone like the mal micro stuff sill stick better and has great antifungal properties to prevent the all too common black silicone

D

DHTiling

Also make sure the area being siliconed is dry and free from contaminants such as grout haze etc...this will hinder the silicone sticking......

C

ck-

Also make sure the area being siliconed is dry and free from contaminants such as grout haze etc...this will hinder the silicone sticking......

OK, Thanks everyone for your advice. So I'm going to remove all of the selant that's there and try cleaning the tiles thoroughly - probably with wire wool? before having another go. I'll use coloured grout this time - the clear looks a bit rubbish.
I's annoying because wherever else I have done sealant - round bath etc - I have usually made a reasonable job of it, but this is just awful.
I think gonk31 could have a point about wax - certainly something is making this stuff not stick properly. Come to think of it, wherever I have scraped away the grout, cleaned up with wire wool and re=applied the silicone, it stuck much better, which would support that theory.

Thanks all for being so helpful and for resisting the temptation to laugh at the quality of the tiling. :yes:

Reply to All great except silicone! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen