Discuss anhydrite + big leak : ( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Brindle

Hi, tiled a new house back in the summer, guy rang me yesterday to say couple of tiles loose on one bathroom floor. After recovering from a heart attack (ettringite paranoia! :yikes:) I popped to have a look.
Lifted the loose tiles and loads of water underneath, after further inspection it appears his shower (very high pressure/water flow rate) has been leaking a serious amount of water which has found its way from under the tray...under the tiles on two sides.

Prep wise, I followed recommendations for screed i.e laitence properly removed, primed x 3. On lifting the tiles, the backs of them are 100% bonded to adhesive but looks like you can see a surface of anhydrite and primer. I have tiled other screeds in this way, hoping they don't get any leaks..eeek!
Floor now being dried out, leak fixed, I might go for some Gypfix to re lay this one now

Having never had any tiles come loose, I was surprised that this leak caused the tiles to pop so easily. I have seen popped tiles similar to this after a leak on a concrete floor too, laid years ago by someone else, but again a long standing leak.

Bob

I

Ian

Good morning Bob, this is one of the reasons anhydrite screeds are not recommended in wet areas (I'm aware that this is not to meant to be a wet area that you are dealing with). I have tiled a wet room on this screed before and completely tanked it before tiling to avoid this exact issue. I would say that so long as you fix the shower and let the affected area dry out before refixing the tiles your problem will be solved, and yes, use a gypsum based adhesive if you can.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

Reply to anhydrite + big leak : ( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
anhydrite + big leak : (
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.