Discuss Anybody good with cars? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rich

Hello all,

I am looking for a car for my girl friend who has just passed her test and needs a broom for work. She has found a 53 plate Peugeot 206 1.1, 40,000 miles for £1800. This seems very cheap to me, but figure that it may be a bit tatty (this is fine).

My problem is that she seems to think that the car is Irish as the number plate doesnt look English (I havnt seen it yet, could be personalised). I seem to remember some1 telling my that if a car is registered to another country, you have a certain number of years you can drive it about on the same plates until you have to pay through the nose to register it in this country. My worry is that the car may be at this point and is being sold off cheap.

Does anybody know if I am making this up?
If not how would I check?

Any advice here would be very much appreciated

D

Deleted member 9966

and if you can't physically get to see the vehicle, ring whoever is selling them with a full list of questions and if at any point they can't answer your questions satisfactorily, bin them off and keep looking.

we tested a Saab9-3 diesel for Mr GRR the other week, and it was a nice car but not what we hoped for, and then we heard knocking from the back end... not a good sign. didn't go back.

my first proper car (when I was an adult and working full time) was a Fiat Punto 1.2. cheap and cheerful to insurance, tax, MOT and maintain. avoid any cars with more than 2 owners I say, because otherwise they've been shifted around too much and might be masking bigger problems. oh and make sure it has 2 keys. nothing narks me more than having to go and spend £100 getting a second key cut because the original owner lost one and didn't bother to replace it!!!!! :incazzato:

D

Deleted member 9966

Thank you, I will be having a look at it next weekend. I just wasnt sure how much it would cost to re register the thing if it needed it.

I hate buying cars, such a pain in the backside :incazzato:

I can't imagine it would cost much to re-register it to a UK number plate. And then you can haggle with whoever is selling it to knock some money off it to cover part of the registering if it does indeed turn out to be a foreign car.

H

hillhead

Rich, as you know i live here in NI.
Cars here are no prob to take over there, it's cars from the Republic of Ireland where you'd have to pay import duty i believe.
If i buy from the Republic then i have to pay the duty too.
Check out where in Ireland the car is from????????
The southern plates have ... like ... 00-WX-8906, 97-CN-4587 etc.
Northern plates are like ULZ 1234, HIB 1789 etc.
So only the southern ones you'd have probs with as you'd be paying the import duty IMO.

C

Colour Republic

Oh and I forgot to mention that this car has Central locking, LED lights, custom interior, CD player and a handful of other extras. This is why I thought it was a low price.

For me it's the other way round mate

Those extras mean it's being doing dounuts round mcdonalds carpark, handbrake turns in asda's and general reving the nuts off it, for those reasons I think it's expensive!

O

Olz

When you say custom interior, led lights etc, this springs to mind, have you seen any photos of it yet?

6d42b0845c4dc91d7cdae7184bc142b6.jpg :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reply to Anybody good with cars? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A
Well before i get into the selling circle itself there are certain things you need to know in...
Replies
Views
AMtek
A
J
Bloody Neighbours!!! There is a huge house in our street. The extended family is run by a...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
D
Posted on the sparky forum.. thought i would share this with you lot..
Replies
Views
Fekin
F
S
Dunno if it worth mentioning this to anyone looking at buying a van – or even many that do...
Replies
Views
obobsmith
O
R
Wanted to put up a post about tiling with natural stone, most of us on here use a lot of it and...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 54066
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Anybody good with cars?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.