Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Applying Hardiebacker to Block in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Duchard

I'm about to put some Hardibacker 500 boards up in my wetroom installation and after browsing the forums I'm still unsure as to how to apply these boards. So far its looking like the dot dab plasterboard solution is a defo no no. But then some people mention to dot & dab and screw fix.
I have three bags of plasterboard adhesive left so ideally would use this but again not sure as recommended to use tile adhesive.

If your better to use tile adhesive is any ok? Cement based? Ready mixed? Water proof? Will just any cheap adhesive be ok considering suppliers recommend a full cover to each board.

Also if you need to screw fix does anyone know what the best method is to screw to block. I installed my kitchen to some of these air bricks and they are like butter. Would I need to pre drill the holes and insert raw plugs?

Any help much appreciated on this as like other jobs I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

Ta

D

Daz

What tanking are you planning to use, please?
If you are not using the Hardi boards for load bearing then why don't you go with one of these options:

1. D&D plasterboard, then tank, then tile (low cost option)
2. D&D Wedi or Marmox or Kerdi board then tile (no need for tanking)
3. Plug & screw Hardi boards, then tile (no need for tanking)

Personally, I prefer to try and solid fix boards so if your walls are flat and plumb then you could trowel the wall with cement based tile adhesive and stick either options 1 or 2.

D

Duchard

I've already bought the hardibacker. An extra £90 instead of using plasterboard which would crumble if it got wet seemed like a good decision to me. And piece of mind when my kids are stood next to them. Same goes for the tanking really. £60 dont seem alot to give it an extra layer of protection. I'm not sure if you can be over careful in these installs as I'd imagine trouble down the line could be a nightmare!

D

Duchard

Ok to summarise my method here:

1) Pre drill holes in my block work and insert a decent raw plug for the thermite block.

2) Install the hardibacker500 along my block work up to 2m in height using cement based tile adhesive. Fully loaded over the entire board.

3) Screw fix all holes to secure the hardibacker into place.

4) Seal edges with waterproof silcone and waterproof tape.

5) Tank the area with BAL WP1 tanking kit.

6) Tile

Does this method seem reasonable / sensible?

Thanks

Reply to Applying Hardiebacker to Block in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Applying Hardiebacker to Block
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.