UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Aqua Dec installation and sub-floor advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jordelver

Hi,
I'm a newbie DIYer and probably in way over my head. There is no turning back. There may be tears :)

I am going to be installing an Aqua Dec in my bathroom. The whole of the floor including (obviously) the Aqua Dec are going to be tiled. Large tiles for most of the floor with smaller (textured) mosaics for the shower area.

The bathroom is currently all timber floorboards - 22mm thick. The Aqua Dec is also 22mm thick, however I'm also going to be installing underfloor heating (Devimat) and I was going to lay an insulation board of some type to a) insulate the floor for the heating, and b) create a nice flat surface to tile onto.

So, by the time I add on the thickness of the insulation board and tiles, either the Aqua Dec is going to have to be made higher, or the rest of the floor lower or else I'm going to be going up a step to get into the bathroom.

Given this, what would be the best course of action? I could remove floorboards, put down ply and an insulation board with the hope I can find those materials in the correct thicknesses. Would that be strong enough?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers,
Jordan

J

jordelver

Thanks for reply Dave. Yeah, I could call them but I don't want to mess them about as I'm planning on doing this myself.

It's not the Aqua Dec I'm worried about (at this point anyway!) it's getting the heights right. There are loads of different products out there and trying to pick the right one can be daunting :) I'm confident I'll be able to put down something new, just wondered what you guys would use?

W

wetdec

Hi Jordan, got your pm at last :)

Ok from what you say you have :

22mm of chip board existing

An aqua dec wet room former

A Devimat heat pack

As I See It You will Now Have to :

Take up existing floor

Put an insulation between joists at top

Overply your floor with 18/22 mm ply

Cut out for your aquadec

Batten off joists to under board aqua-dec

Fit your aqua-dec

Tape your transitions and corners with a flexible tape

Tank your wall areas

Tile your walls

Fix your gulley collar

Lay a tanking membrane to your floor

Lay Devimat (not over base imo)

Fix floor tiles.

Hows that m8 ??

The Tilers Forums is here to help everyone....... often asking the questions first can prevent the worries later....:yes:

tiler

J

jordelver

Hi Jordan, got your pm at last :)
Better late than never :)

A Devimat heat pack
Pretty much, but 22mm standard floorboards rather than chip board.

Sorry, I need a bit of clarification with of some of the terms used :)

Take up existing floor

So, put an insulation board on top of the joists, and then ply on top? Or, just put normal (loft type) insulation between and then ply on top of that?

Cut out for your aquadec

Fit your aqua-dec

Tank your wall areas

Tile your walls

Fix your gulley collar

Lay a tanking membrane to your floor

Fix floor tiles.
Ok, but what do you mean by "Batten off joists to under board aqua-dec" and what's a "gulley collar". Is that to the trap?

Hows that m8 ??
Very much appreciated. Thanks for your time :)

Cheers,
Jordan

W

wetdec

Quote:

A Devimat heat pack
Pretty much, but 22mm standard floorboards rather than chip board.
Ah ok hadnt realised that
Sorry, I need a bit of clarification with of some of the terms used
smile.gif

Quote:

Take up existing floor

So, put an insulation board on top of the joists, and then ply on top? Or, just put normal (loft type) insulation between and then ply on top of that?

I am trying to keep your height down here so put Kingspan or similar level with top of joists then ply over

Quote:
Cut out for your aquadec

Fit your aqua-dec

Tank your wall areas Using tilesafe (not for stone) to over run base by 50mm

Tile your walls

Fix your gulley collar None

Lay a tanking membrane to your floor Tilesafe (will not prevent latteral cracking)

Fix floor tiles.
Ok, but what do you mean by "Batten off joists to under board aqua-dec" and what's a "gulley collar". Is that to the trap?

Impey installation instructions give the aqua-dec as under boarded, you batten between the joists and lay ply to support the aqua dec. The drain collar is a waterproof collar used to make sure 100% sealed. Impey dont supply these with their kit.

Ok 10m2 tilesafe kit see above.

tiler

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jordelver

I am trying to keep your height down here so put Kingspan or similar level with top of joists then ply over
Ok, I'm with you. So Kingspan is a thin insulating board?

Tank your wall areas Using tilesafe (not for stone) to over run base by 50mm
I presume that I only need to tank the shower area walls and not the whole bathroom?

Lay a tanking membrane to your floor Tilesafe (will not prevent latteral cracking)
OK, do I need to tank the whole floor? Only the shower area is going to get wet. I don't think I'll have enough membrane to do the whole floor. Will that affect height?

Impey installation instructions give the aqua-dec as under boarded, you batten between the joists and lay ply to support the aqua dec. The drain collar is a waterproof collar used to make sure 100% sealed. Impey dont supply these with their kit.
OK, I see what you mean. I've checked out the install guide and understand that now. I have the fitting kit for the drain trap etc.

Thanks for your help with this :)

W

wetdec

Ok, I'm with you. So Kingspan is a thin insulating board? No kingspan is an insulation board v hard foam with foil one side

I presume that I only need to tank the shower area walls and not the whole bathroom? Tape your corner and where floor meets walls, tank all floor and walls in wet area

OK, do I need to tank the whole floor? Only the shower area is going to get wet. I don't think I'll have enough membrane to do the whole floor. Will that affect height? You have 10m2 you will only use 2m2 on floor if its only 1.3x1.3 ?

OK, I see what you mean. I've checked out the install guide and understand that now. I have the fitting kit for the drain trap etc.

Thanks for your help with this :)

See above m8

J

jordelver

No kingspan is an insulation board v hard foam with foil one side
Ok, I see. So presumably I'm going to need 18mm ply and a 4mm kingspan ro make up the 22mm? Where can I can kingspan?

Tape your corner and where floor meets walls, tank all floor and walls in wet area
Okey dokey.

You have 10m2 you will only use 2m2 on floor if its only 1.3x1.3 ?
Oh yes. Maths was never my strong point :| That's ok then :)

Thanks for help.

Cheers,
Jordan

D

DanG

Hi Guys, I'm Dan. Been reading the forum on and off for a while but only registered today. Been following this thread with interest

I am doing a very similar project in a bung. renovation for my own use. I have bought an Aquadec 1mx1m and intend to tank the floor with Tilesafe. Two walls are freshly plastered and skimmed. The other 2 walls forming the shower corner I intend to form out of Wedi or Aquapanel. One of these walls is stud to make a cavity for pipework and shower the other is bare brick. Don't intend to tank them as I believe there is no need and I want to cover with Travertine which is approx 22kg/m2.

The floor is removed to install Celotex and run soil piping for a second bathroom and other pipework. I intended to replace the floor with 22mm WBP which should come level with the Aquadec then install the tilesafe over all with a 75mm up the walls.

I also want to install Devimat 100w underfloor heating. Now here come the queries. Where and how do I install do I install the thermostat sensor? Above or below the Tilesafe. How do I bury it in the WBP/adhesive/Tilesafe. What thickness of Wedi should I use for the walls. If I dot and dab the brick wall I'll use Wedi with dowels as Aquapanel recommend batten fixing only. Should I be thinking of thinner ply and then making up with a tilebacker etc. I will be putting noggins across to screw the ply edges to which will stiffen the floor and have added one dwarf wall to stiffen everything. The bathroom is 3mx2m.

Cheers, Dan

I

Impey UK

hi dan. in regards to the devi mat system on the tanking, the sensor needs to be located between two of the heating elements on top of the tanking to get a direct reading from the tiles and adhiesive,route out a groove in your ply or floor substrate big enough to take your sensor,sheathing and to line it with tilesafe.
also,be sure your plaster skim has dried out fully before applying the tilesafe tape.
cheers
shaun.

Reply to Aqua Dec installation and sub-floor advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.