UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss aquapanel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If something is completely resistant to the passage of water it is completely water resistant. If it completely resists the passage of moisture it is water proof. Ergo water resistant and water proof are interchangeable terms and thus mean the same thing.

If it is resistant to the effects of moisture but not to its passage it would still be classed as water resistant as well. The degree of resistance I guess is the point of argument. There are simply different degrees of resistance the lowest degree being not resistant at all and the highest being completely resistant which would alternatively be termed waterproof.

Water resistant is meaningless unless there is a point of reference e.g. water resistant fabrics have to withstand the passage of moisture up to a certain pressure (I think it is 8 kpa but stand to be corrected)

I think Water proof is almost used linguistically speaking as a colloquialism these days. The correct terms dealing with the passage or not of fluids including water are permeability. If it is waterproof then it would be deemed as impermeable.

I am arguing the case for the pedants of the world you understand.

This of course has no bearing on whether or not it should be tanked....... :)

J

jay

yes can see were you are coming from,
so if you need to waterproof a shower wall in a wet room will Aquapanel do
the problem is its water resistant and wont break down (like plasterboard witch is also classified as water resistant) but it will allow water to reach the studs behind .

note the plasterboard i was referring to is the wet check plasterboard designed for bathrooms (green board)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
a tanking system is water proof but the backer boards are water resistant.

Depends on the material used for the tanking system. A tanking system such as those used for shower walls, floors etc will have a moisture transmission rate which is very low therefore will still allow the passage of moisture but at a rate at which the materials behind it can dissipate that moisture wither to the atmosphere or to the surround building fabric. Therefore by the deffinition expounded in this thread about water proof they cannot be considered waterproof but are merely highly water resistant.....Backer boards have a moisture transmission rate significantly higher than the Tanking system. They will allow the passage of moisture at a relatively high rate. They are therefore water resistant.

Most materials will allow the passage of moisture to some extent. There is a quantifiable deffinition of waterproof. I would think something like tar or bitumen might qualify due to their hydrophobic water repellent nature...... Tanking Systems despite the colloquial nature of the word would not technically qualify as they will to some extent allow the passage of moisture.

Just to be even more pedantic though - are we talking about resistance to liquid water or water vapour or indeed solid water???

T

The D

i do understand what you are saying but you are making my head hurt. i will stick with
MAPEGUM WPS
Fast drying flexible liquid tanking membrane for the interior waterproofing of bathroom and shower walls and floors before installing ceramic tiles and natural stone.

Ardex WPC Waterproof Protection System kit is used as a waterproof protection coat on backgrounds such as cement or gypsum plaster, plasterboard or wood based materials prior to fixing tiles in domestic bathrooms, commercial kitchens, showers and bathrooms. It can be used for sealing internal corners between walls, filling holes, joints and gaps round pipes, baths and showers prior to tiling.

BAL WP1 Waterproofing Kit is a flexible, seamless and complete waterproof tanking system. It comprises of an acrylic-based flexible WP1 tanking coating, WP1 polyester tape, WP1 polyester matting and APD acrylic primer. The BAL WP1 waterproofing kit provides total waterproof protection of substrates prior to fixing wall and floor tiles in wet or dry interior environments. It is recommended for use in showers, bathrooms, kitchens, laundry and utility rooms, upstands, pipes and floor wastes. It is even suitable for areas where movement may occur, such as drainage channels and junctions between walls and floors.

if you had a constant flow of water directly on to a tanking system then maybe you would be correct but with the amount of water that will come into contact with the tanking (non if the tiling is installed correctly) i think we can safely say the tanking is water proof.

Reply to aquapanel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I'm doing a total refit of my bathroom, including the floor which is water damaged...
Replies
Views
Hiya all, I'm a DIY gal on first bathroom. Wondered if you could check out my plans and let me...
Replies
Views
Hi. My daughter is having a walk in shower fitted by builders. I am concerned because most of...
Replies
Views
Notts_Rob66
N

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.