UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss aquapanel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jay

Jay when you ask aquapanal and hardie do you still need to tank showers after using their board they both say yes so i believe that answers the question :juggle2:

Hardie i can get and yes always waterproof ,Aquapanel is not available here but reads like the ducks guts in board and advice it is waterproof (no need for tanking only the joints) that's my question is it

P

Perry

not when i spoke to Hardie here they told me i will have to tank it said it was cement board just like aquapanel

this is what hardie say

3.2 The boards are suitable as part of a system comprising tiles, cement-based tile adhesive and grout, to install a
stable, water-resistant tile substrate in showers, bathrooms and wet areas (excluding shower floors)

Last edited by a moderator:

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
AQUAPANEL® Cement Board by Knauf USG Systems | home en says it is 100 percent waterproof here

i have a sheet lying outside and has been for a few months round back of my hut and also a part sheet of hardi

the hardi has started breaking down but the aquapanel is still solid,for me thje hardi is more of a fibreboard and the aquapanel is a particle board they are of 2 different constructions

i have been using the aquapanel on floors for a fair while now and i use there 12mm sheets on bath panels.....if im doing shower areas i use plasterboard normally and tank it simply because the plasterboard is a more versatile product and can be used for dot dabbing onto block etc.

a great product aquapanel,i think they also do an exterior particle board as well

J

jay

Does sound good Kilty

But the original question is is it waterproof (does it require additional treatment) to stop water passing through it.
example. a fish tank is waterproof and does not allow water to pass through it

if i said to a customer that if they use this product it is waterproof .
They would expect it to be just that ,and water wont get into the studs behind or the floorboards or the carpet in the next room not to mention the ceiling below.CORRECT

sort of leaves room for a customer to take you for damages if it is not what it says .
the literature is well worded and a bit misleading just would like to know does it soak up water and let it pass or does it bead the water like a piece of glass

Please don't take this the wrong way

P

Perry

AQUAPANEL® Cement Board by Knauf USG Systems | home en says it is 100 percent waterproof here

i have a sheet lying outside and has been for a few months round back of my hut and also a part sheet of hardi

the hardi has started breaking down but the aquapanel is still solid,for me thje hardi is more of a fibreboard and the aquapanel is a particle board they are of 2 different constructions

i have been using the aquapanel on floors for a fair while now and i use there 12mm sheets on bath panels.....if im doing shower areas i use plasterboard normally and tank it simply because the plasterboard is a more versatile product and can be used for dot dabbing onto block etc.

a great product aquapanel,i think they also do an exterior particle board as well

Yes Jamie i agree its a great product but they told me you have to tank it and yes it doesn't degrade in water but they say its not waterproof

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
i wont take it the wrong way mate,i was just trying to say that i use it and i think its good ,it has its uses and place in the refit

ok done a quick test in the bathroom this afty with a half sheet i had in van

turned the shower on and sprayed the centre of the sheet as it was standing at an angle agaiinst the wall in the bath so no water enveloped round the edges......sprayed it for 15 minutes and after 5 minutes water moisture marks began to appear on the back of the board in the area i was directing the full force of the shower

so its not water proof but water resistant guys

use ful for over boarding floors in bathrooms imo and a better substrate to tile to rather than ply also
needs tanked in wetroom situations and also shower situations
doesnt swell or break down like plasterboard if wet

P

Perry

Jamie i use it a great product useful for somethings but its wrong that they imply IMO its waterproof for a novice it could get you into trouble if the skilled guys think its waterproof the newb aint got a chance but as you say use backerboard or plasterboard and tank the latter
and doesnt swell or break down like plasterboard if it gets wet if it does i would rather it be plasterboard

J

jay

i wont take it the wrong way mate,i was just trying to say that i use it and i think its good ,it has its uses and place in the refit

ok done a quick test in the bathroom this afty with a half sheet i had in van

turned the shower on and sprayed the centre of the sheet as it was standing at an angle agaiinst the wall in the bath so no water enveloped round the edges......sprayed it for 15 minutes and after 5 minutes water moisture marks began to appear on the back of the board in the area i was directing the full force of the shower

so its not water proof but water resistant guys

use ful for over boarding floors in bathrooms imo and a better substrate to tile to rather than ply also
needs tanked in wetroom situations and also shower situations
doesnt swell or break down like plasterboard if wet

Thank you Kilty that's the answer i was looking for .As i said it reads realy good but is it and the answer is no so be careful were you use it

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to aquapanel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I'm doing a total refit of my bathroom, including the floor which is water damaged...
Replies
Views
Hiya all, I'm a DIY gal on first bathroom. Wondered if you could check out my plans and let me...
Replies
Views
Hi. My daughter is having a walk in shower fitted by builders. I am concerned because most of...
Replies
Views
Notts_Rob66
N

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.