Search the forum,

Discuss Are My Quarry Tiles Worth Restoring? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

abigailbetton

Hi We recently found pretty basic red and black victorian quarry tiles in our kitchen. They are a bit damaged in places but if possible we'd really like to keep them. We aren't bothered about them being pristine, we just hope to clean them up a bit to a usable, 'shabby chic' standard. Any advice on what best to use to make them look their best would be appreciated (ie) cleaning products/sealing products?

One big concern that we have is that there appears to be occasional patches where the tiles seems to get a bit damp (darker colour) and this is obviously coming from underneath. Though this doesn't seem so bad at the moment we wondered if this might be more of a problem in winter? Also, is it anything to worry about? Should we be restoring these or seriously thinking about ripping them out and putting down a brand new floor? We'd really like to keep them but if this isn't a sensible option we'd rather know now before we splash out on a new kitchen!

Any advice, previous similar experiences you can share would be really helpful. I'll try and upload a photo of said floor. DSCN1879.jpg

Thanks. :smilewinkgrin:

C

Concrete guy

It's not unusual to find this type of floor down with now damp proof course under them.

That will probably determine if they are viable to keep down or not.

S

steve187

there would be no damp proof course and that would just be laid on dirt, in my mind they are worth keeping as not now available, whatever you put down you would need a damp proof membrane, so the extra work in cleaning them up would be worth it. if i was putting them back down i would use a half inch joint and grout with sand and cement.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
DO NOT PUT A DAMP PROOF MEMBRANE ON THESE TILES!! They are Victorian and designed with no damp proof membrane undrneath which allows the floor to breath. A surface DPM is designed to suppress residual moisture not rising damp. Lifting themwill most ikely break most of them so leave them in situ. If the tiles were covered they will be damp and will take quite a while to dry thoroughly. Just give them a good scrub (used a floor scrubbing machine on mine) let them dry out. Then polish them with linseed oil. You will have a beautiful floor that will last for years. Put a hessian backed rug down in winter to stop the floor from feeling cold underfoot.

S

steve187

DO NOT PUT A DAMP PROOF MEMBRANE ON THESE TILES!! They are Victorian and designed with no damp proof membrane undrneath which allows the floor to breath. A surface DPM is designed to suppress residual moisture not rising damp. Lifting themwill most ikely break most of them so leave them in situ. If the tiles were covered they will be damp and will take quite a while to dry thoroughly. Just give them a good scrub (used a floor scrubbing machine on mine) let them dry out. Then polish them with linseed oil. You will have a beautiful floor that will last for years. Put a hessian backed rug down in winter to stop the floor from feeling cold underfoot.

as i have said before you never stop learning in this game

C

Concrete guy

This is interesting.

Is there any inherent issue with not fitting a DPM and just leaving it all be?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is interesting.

They have been there for over a hundred years with no issues. The problem with putting a liquid DPM on top is that the rising damp will cause osmotic bubbling over time and may even pop off the top. The issue with putting a DPM underneath is lifting the tiles will destroy some and probably a lot of them and the sub base was never designed to have a DPM. It will be a lime screed underneath which would also need to be replaced. Why try and fix it if it isnt broken.

D

DHTiling

Is there any heave in the floor or loose areas..? and a pic from further back would be good...just to see what surface contamination there is over the yrs..

N

NickyJ

This is interesting.

Hi, yes.
Quarry tiles are designed to breathe. If you put a DPM over the top, or seal them with a non breathable sealant, the the moisture will find its way into the walls as it has to go somewhere.

T

Tsctiling

In my view quarry tiles are always worth restoring. Even if tiles are.fixed they can be lifted whole. Then re-prep sub floor plus a dpm, and relay cleaned tiles. Don't just smash them up.

Reply to Are My Quarry Tiles Worth Restoring? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen