Discuss Argh!!! Know-it-all builders!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

It's all too easy to get wound up in situations like this, and expect nothing but trouble and arguments.
But if you take a while to step back, and just think of how to approach it, and how to state the facts it's quite usual that you can resolve these problems easier than you think.
I was chatting to Siramic the other day, (nice one for lending me the hydrometer :) by the way), and as he says with the knowledge that is being shared off this forum you can go into jobs with far more confidence and state the reasons why things have to be done properly.
Good to hear it's all turned out well, you'll have put yourself up the pecking order on the job too in the builders eyes as he can see you're trying to do him a good job.

G

garybadger

I had a job booked in for 2 months. 164m2 off porcelain 600x100, 600x300 and 600x600 and some travertine mosaic wet floors.. 1 week before I was due to start, got a phone call from the builder. The owner of the house had been speaking to a Polish builder, who had tilers on his books. Asked how much the builder was charging per m2, and then continued to blow us out the water price wise.
Labour wise doing porcelain and travertine mosaic tiles and self levelling, supplying all adhesive's grout, silicone, trim and self leveller. The guy told him he could do it for £20.00m2 cash. ALL IN. Absolutely incredible price.
Builder had to phone me and ask if I could match it. Told him I wouldn't even get out my bed to work for the equivalent of £7-8m2 (if your lucky with material) If he's building out, then it clearly goes lower as he will have extra costs.

Guy has went in and started the tiling. Used Granfix paste, and homeplan heavy duty paste for the porcelain walls. His tiles on the travertine wet floor are coming up already. 2 rows had to be re-fixed the day after they broke off when stood on.

Sole destroying that this bum has went in and took this job from me. I've tiled the guys hotels, and his previous house, and not had 1 complaint. Only lost this job because this guy was so cheap.

Hope he continues to mess this up, just to show the difference between a cowboy and a proper tiler. Rant over

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Nice to meet you too Bugs, its a Hygrometer actually... :smilewinkgrin:. I hope you got the readings you were hoping for :thumbsup:

It's all too easy to get wound up in situations like this, and expect nothing but trouble and arguments.
But if you take a while to step back, and just think of how to approach it, and how to state the facts it's quite usual that you can resolve these problems easier than you think.
I was chatting to Siramic the other day, (nice one for lending me the hydrometer :) by the way), and as he says with the knowledge that is being shared off this forum you can go into jobs with far more confidence and state the reasons why things have to be done properly.
Good to hear it's all turned out well, you'll have put yourself up the pecking order on the job too in the builders eyes as he can see you're trying to do him a good job.

B

bugs183

You got me there Siramic!
I got the reading i wanted ta, i turned up at the job and a very worried builder was on site. He asked what i was doing there, then informed me the slab had only been down two weeks! Despite the customer saying it been down for well over a month!
We both agreed the same drying times, agreed i had tested the floor, shook hands, i got in my van and then off i went to Berlin on a very boozy trip!

Reply to Argh!!! Know-it-all builders!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello need some help had a new bathroom done though a builder and the tiling does not look like...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Argh!!! Know-it-all builders!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.