Discuss ATS turbo blade in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peter

Tried out the ATS turbo 115mm blade today as a replacement for my very average Addax turbo blade.

Had an S shape tray to cut round so that was it's first job, on 600x300 polished porcelain. It cut better than I expected it to and although there was some chipping, it wasn't any worse than some blades for twice the money. Interestingly it was able to cut the fine sliver off the tile in one peice that my other blade would have broken. Used it a few more times through the day and not sure if it was just me or the type of cut, but chipping didn't seem as bad by the end of the day. Time will tell but first impressions for £14 it's not a bad blade at all.

20130927_114420.jpg 20130927_114430.jpg

C

Concrete guy

I have not used mine on porcelain yet but i did try it on some travertine last monday and i do have to say it was not good.

Alan , the feedback you have had , do these blades need a few cuts to bed them in so to speak..? , are they suitable for multi use on differing materials.?

This particular blade is designed for porcelain and other equally dense materials.

It will work on softer materials but would need to be dressed first.

So you'll probably need to run it in a hard material to expose some diamond, then you'll find it will cut softer materials but with prolonged use in soft material you'll get glazing occurring assuming it's dry use.

The metal bond of a segment determines the designed use of any blade, in very general terms, a soft metal bond will be better for very hard materials and a hard metal bond would be better for soft materials.

I actually found over the years that continuous rim blades performed better in travertine due to the fragile nature of the product.

We do sell some general purpose blades, these work better in stone and softer materials due to the harder metal bond - but then these would be no good in porcelain.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Cheers Alan , i just had to ask for clarification .. i have continuous rimmed blades , just thought i would ask what the make up was with this particular one as other turbo blades i have used are quite versatile with various materials.

I shall deffo give it a blast on porcs and if it performs well , then i shall just keep it for that purpose and change blades for differing tiles and differing materials etc.

Appreciate your above reply though :thumbsup:

C

Concrete guy

Just an update. Been using this a lot on porcelain, ceramic and quartz and it's performed superbly. Gets through material quickly with minimal chipping. Well recommended.

Quartz is interesting Peter. We have stone masons looking for a solution for cutting quartz dry, I hadn't considered a porcelain turbo blade, we've always looked at traditional segmented designs.

Did you cut a "starlight" type quartz with mirror/glass segments or just plain stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Concrete guy

One question Alan. Any chance of producing a 180mm blade for a wet cutter? Cheers Sean

We're working on that Sean. In fact it's something I've been trying to get made for about 6 months.

By sales volume the largest selling sizes are 115mm & 180mm by a country mile, then 125mm, 200mm and finally 150mm.

The factory that produces this particular blade doesn't currently have a mould for 180mm which is a nuisance. They will manufacture one for us but need a minimum order of 2000 units to make it worthwhile, which is a lot of blades in one size. At about £20 a blade , that's £40,000 tied up in a single size and type of blade and we don't have that kind of money available for that period of time for one product. So we're working on them to reduce the initial order requirement as these would sell and sell in reasonable volume.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to ATS turbo blade in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi All. Just been to see the Wizard of Oz @3_fall . Met Marc onsite today to pick up some...
Replies
Views
Alan from ATS Diamond tools sent me a couple of blades to test. I purposely did not check out...
Replies
Views
K
After advice on this forum I purchased a couple of blades from ATS diamond Tools last week...
Replies
Views
Concrete guy
C
S
I hope this is not too much of an advert for the supplier but I must say I am very impressed...
Replies
Views
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB