Guest viewing is limited

Discuss average earnings .thanks for the responces so far in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

giubs

Hi all,
thanks for the responce so far .Just posted that last night and got loads of feed back and hellos so thanks for that .
Don valley tiling, made me laugh what you said about swaping it bat of an eyelid. my mate who is a joiner said exactly the same. Everyone in the bank wishes they'd done a trade. Grass is greener I suppose. definatly not going to go head first into it , going to do what you said and start at the weekends with minimal advertising and see how i get on after the novelty has worn off. biuld up slow.
what kind of income do you bring in on an annual basis once you are up and running? It says on the training sites earn £30k p/a or there abouts .
Are any of you guys making that kind of money.
I'm going to do the course as wont be a waste even if i decide against it .
Love the forum . I've had a real good look through some of the threads . theres some greart advice on here for someone like me.
P.s. bank job £25k .
i'll mabye start a poll banker or tiler.
Chris

T

tiler burden

its really difficult to answer a question as broad as that.

i know plasterers and tilers who regularly bring in anything from min 150 a day to 250 but they dont just turn up and do a few meters and say, there you go thats my day rate..they get set up efficiently and get stuck in. day rates are really inaccurate, productivity is the way forward...i actually know a couple of tilers who charge 20 pound a meter for floor tiling and do 25-30 meters a day so do the maths there and some even earning more than that....

if you want the standard country variation of so called day rates then 80-100 the bottom end and 150-200 the top end...on saying that, i know people in london who work for 100 a day so pick the sweetcorn out of that???

what you have to remember is, the building game is full of bull sh***ers, if you say 150 a day, they say 200 etc etc..theres a saying, 'what you do tells me more about you than what you say'!!

ed

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Raja

Make sure guys that you don't confuse "earnings" with what is actually left to go in your pocket after expenses, overheads and potential taxation. It can be best to relate earnings to an "after tax" figure, not what you actually get paid from your customers at the end of the week.

Grumpy
thank you grumpy good point. mine was after all over heads being paid off

H

Holohana

£500 net is a good week and £1000 net is a great week. Nice when you get them.

Just landed 44m2 of floor and will make just under £1k after mats and also make a few quid on the tiles. Ive also landed some commercial units. 10 days work for around £2k after materials.

Good job ive got them as ive lost a few juicy jobs so far this year so it all evens itself out and brings your weekly rate down overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tiler tom

If I was guarenteed 25k a year or 500 per week to come home clean without an aching back, sore knees and cut fingers then I wouldn't speculate about the hard work drumming up business in order to try and acheive 30k or 600 per week that may or may not be a reality. Asking if it acheivable do you know a tiler with a merc. Stick to the day job and do the course if you want to tile your on suite. :thumbsup:

D

Daz

I used to sell software solutions and have done so for the last 20 years. My last job paid £45k basic + 5% commission against a turnover of £1.2mil + £25k car, pension, health and expenses. I hated the job but was caught up with the salary and all the trappings.

I did a 4 week course at PTS Harlow, quit my job, re-geared my lifestyle and now work full time as a tiler. With little marketing effort I am consistently earning a net £500 per week doing a job that I really enjoy. I get to choose who I work for and what hours I wish to work. I don't have some pompous little dick checking how much time I've spent on the phone or my internet usage against how much profit I've made. I don't have to spend my evenings making up a weekly business forecast and then my days justifying why one customer or another hasn't placed an order when they said they would. I'm am well pleased that I switched career, even if it does mean that I keep falling asleep on the sofa now!

As an added bonus, I've lost my "corporate gut", so am now looking quite trim and fit.

As you get older you realise that money isn't everything and job satisfaction plays a big part.

I agree that large floors are the way forward, especially when natural stone.

It would be nice if I could feel things with my finger tips but that's a small price to pay :lol: .

I

IvegotsTILE

Just bare in mind that alot of people have recently been on this site asking if they should throw in the towel because their not earning enough money to pay the bills.
I can gaurantee that for every 2 people that come out of their course and are succesful there is another 8 that can't make it work,its all up to the individual and the amount of competition in their area.
Good luck in whatever you decide:thumbsup:

Reply to average earnings .thanks for the responces so far in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Hi Folks, I've just been to look at a couple of bathrooms and a cloakroom that need tiling. I'm...
Replies
Views
M
G
I got made redundant Sept last year. I'd never claimed so much as a bean in my life but I'd...
Replies
Views
G
Hi all, I am thin king about changing career and becoming a tiler and was wanting to get some...
Replies
Views
giubs
G
T
Hello all, I am new here, first post, so go easy. Ever since I was small, people, primary...
Replies
Views
brian c
B
W
Yes my little ginger head has nearly exploded today. Firstly i was having problems with the...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
TJ Smiler
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
average earnings .thanks for the responces so far
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.