UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss B&Q tiles scratch grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I had the very same problem about 1 year ago. The tiles were bowed, there were three different size tiles in the batch , some were 597, some were 600, and some were 610!! The tiles scratched when grouted. All of it came from B&Q. I didn't get paid, (A weeks work 50m2) . B&Q said it was my fault i used the grout that they had supplied!! And they said i should've checked that they were all the same batch .
I did!
They were ! (at least according to the boxes)
I saved some leftover tiles to show them.
They pretty much told me to fornicate off and sue them!!
I can feel the anger bubbling again now.
Truly the worst company in the world.

You should have refused to fit the tiles if you realised the calibration was so far out, and got the customer to take them back to B&Q, and let them sort the issue out.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
My Dad always said buy cheap buy dear or twice or something like that, customer asks me today about the rina cream tile, and the rojo and said they have it in bnq and almurad for £14 a metre. My advice was simply what my Dad told me. They walked away...probs be back tomorrow if they have any sense.

It's 'Buy cheap, pay twice' and your dad was right!!! :thumbsup:

T

Turkish tiler

Update

this is mapei's respond after test on tiles

Whilstthe surface of the tile does appear to have been marked during the process themarkings are minimal and difficult to see in certain light situations.We can confirm that the grout used in the test ref SIRD355 was of goodmanufactured quality and fit for purpose.

This is B&Q and Johnson tiles response

Mapei's conclusion supportsour initial assessment that the grout used is a courser grade grout, denoted bytheir description of the product; 'Mapei Ultracolor Plus grout is a productsuitable for grout joints up to 20mm in width and as such contains quite alarge aggregate'. Taking this into account surprisingly few scratches appear tohave been created during their trials on the Utopia high gloss black tilessuggesting that the scratching on Mr. Lewis' tiles may be the result ofapplication error or harsh handling. As the tiles have not scratchedexcessively in either our trials or the Mapei one there is no reason to suspectthe tiles of any failure.

This is my respond back to B&Q and Johnsontiles

Dear Mr. Lewis
I am sorry to hear the response from B&Q and Johnson tiles
If the matter has not beenresolved I suggest you take it further to Trading standards and The TileAssociation. I stand by the quality of my work.
Can you forward this B&Qplease
- There is no information onutopia tile boxes about what grade grout to use, if Mr. Lewis wanted Epoxygrout by the time grout process finished there would not be any glaze left onutopia tiles
- Mapei confirm that the groutused in the test ref SIRD355 was of good manufactured quality and fit forpurpose
- Johnson tiles states "Asthe tiles have not scratched excessively in either our trials" thereshouldn't be any scratches on tile surface after grouting process
- I suggest Johnson tiles putone full box of utopia tiles on wall and grout with mapei ultraplus 120 groutfor their trail
- I have attached the trial Ihave done with mapei FF 114 grout (fine grout) as you can see on pictures tilesscratched again
- I am a permanent user ofmapei ultraplus grout range which I have used on high gloss black tiles, andnever had any scratches
- I disagree with Johnsontiles statement "scratching on Mr. Lewis' tiles may be the result ofapplication error or harsh handling." tiles had been applied with due careand attention all the way through the installation and grouting process.

And this is latest respond from B&Q and Johnson tiles

Good morning Mr. Lewis,
Thank you for your email and Iam very sorry that your tiler is unhappy with the response from Johnson’s. We havecompleted our investigations, the tiles have been tested and no fault has beenfound with them, therefore we are unable to assist you further in this matter

J

jonnyc

how much do you stand to loose from this.
i think that if you went through a legal process then if nothing on box to say what grout you should use
of should do a trial, and mapei saying their grout suitable for glass then you probably have a good case.
did the grout come from b&q or do they just sell same range as you used.
but it will be very long winded and cost you a lot of time that could have been spent earning money and i think that b&q and johnsons will have weighed this up and think you will not pursue this.
it is not fair but it is the way these big companies operate.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to B&Q tiles scratch grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
I'm Looking For This Tile Looking for some old b&q tiles
Hi! Has anyone got any of these stone effect tiles approx 278x362mm that b&q sold about seven...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.