Discuss BAL Bond SBR on plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

markdraper

This is my first major tiling job in the house, so I am after some advice please.

We are looking at re-plasterboarding the kitchen walls, as when the old tiles came off, there was a big mess on the existing plasterboard, which I assumed there would be, so I am cutting out the old and replacing it.

I went to a tile warehouse store and found some tiles we liked. They are 40cm x 25cm tiles so large sized. I asked them their advice, and I am not sure it's right, by reading some threads on here.

My question is, after replacing the boards, they said that I need to use BAL Bond SBR on the plasterboard, before tiling on the board, to prime it. Is this the right stuff to use. It was expensive and looking on posts here, I am not sure it's right.

If it is right, is this correct procedure.
1) tape up the joints
2) use jointing compound, to fill in the gaps
3) mix up the BAL Bond SBR, brush it on
4) then tile once it's dry

Any advice help would be great.

ok, do I need to seal the boards if I were to paint them?, as I am doing that on one wall.

Also, is taping them needed, will it add any strength for the tiling, or only needed if it's being painted?

If you are to paint over new plaster boards then you should use a drywall sealer.
A lot of people try to use a diluted coat of paint as a mist coat and most of the time you will get away with this.
Dont use Bal sbr as a sealer for paint unless you are going to use latex paint.
Use any drywall sealer, quite cheap and saves having to apply several extra layers of paint to cover plasterboard. Gyproc Drywall Sealer.jpg

W

White Room

I use a drywall primer on certain walls but find the finish isn't as good as using a sealer.
I find Primers are great at covering up inperfections in drywall but leave a mottled finish
But on new drywall,I find painting over sealer give you a glass like finish.

It's because of the texture of the tape joints, if you paint straight over the joints stick out like a sore thumb...

It's because of the texture of the tape joints, if you paint straight over the joints stick out like a sore thumb...

The texture of the taped joint has nothing to do with the with the finish, painting over primers achieves.
painting over primers give an inferior end result to sealers.
You can paint over drywall primers but the finish will not be as good as using a sealer.
You really can tell the difference the shinier the paint.

W

White Room

I think were splitting hairs now.
Both will work, I use a lot of bathroom paints which tend to be shinier than normal emulsion, and I really do see the difference. Next time you paint just give sealers a go, see what you think.
Going to have a look at what British Gypsum they say about sealers.

Your probably right, either one will do the job and BG move the goal posts as they seem fit at time especially there Thistle Uni-Finish but thats another thread.

Reply to BAL Bond SBR on plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB