Discuss Bal Superflex Wide or Ultracolor Plus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Juliann

Hi there

Been reading this forum a while and got some real useful help but need a specific question answering relating to flexible grout.

Am creating a wet room in a Barn conversion, first floor, details:

-20m2 floor area
-18mm Weyroc subfloor on 400cc joists
-cross layed 18mm marine ply
-warm water UFH under subfloor
-2.5m x 2.5m sunken area for shower (2% fall) to two Mcalpine floor gullies
-Ceiling mounted shower (drench type) not power but LOTS of water
-2mm tanking with mesh reinforcing in Mapegum WPS and Mapeband where necessary (will be meticulously done!)
-Mapei Ultraflex S2 adhesive (?)
-Whitish brickbone marble tiles (approx 70x17x9mm) on mesh with approx 3mm spacings
-Grout (????)
-Lithfin sealer

All this is either already in place or materials on site (except adhesive and grout). Trying to do a real belt and braces job as paranoid about leaks as it will be my bathroom and more importantly my kitchen below! Taking into account wood floor, UFH, old building etc, I have tried to build in as much flexibility into the tiling as possible but am stuck at the final hurdle as to which grout to use? Looking at BAL SPF WJ or Mapei Ultracolor plus both in white or just off white but want to know which is considered most flexible, i.e. to suit the supposedly super flexi Ultraflex S2 (other suggestions welcome)? Whats the most flexi grout out there?

Any suggestions on which grout or comments on what I might have done wrong will be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance

Julian (not a pro, but plently of tiling under my belt!)

andy-p

TF
Arms
Andy-p

Any specific recommendations? Trying to avoid Epoxy as it a pain in the .... Realise cementitious grouts aren't waterproof but with the sealer, water 'resistant' grout and tanking I'm pretty happy re water permeability, it's cracks that I'm worried about!!

Thanks Julian
julian i use mapeis ultracolor plus on wet room floors but if you want the best then its an epoxy likes bals easypoxy which is pretty easy to use, as for grout and additive what about freds suggestion.. :thumbsup:

J

Juliann

Andy-p/ Fred

Thanks for the advice, will look into both suggestions! Still a bit bemused though with both Mapei and Bal ranges - why create super flexi adhesives like Ultraflex and Fastflex and not have an equally flexible grout to go with them?

Surely if the subfloor moves/ vibrates and affects the adhesive, it also affects the grout??????

How flexi is the Ultracolor plus (more than Spf WJ) and can Latex be added?

Sorry for more questions but still somewhat confused!

Cheers Julian

Reply to Bal Superflex Wide or Ultracolor Plus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to the forum, I'm a customer of a bodged tiling job done 2 years ago by a general...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Last time I posted here I was having a first attempt at tiling the walls in a shower...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W
O
So after a couple of weeks trialing @ISOMAT UK products, thought it was time to give initial...
Replies
Views
S
K
Hello, I have just grouted my new tiles and after 3 days it has started to go yellow in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Bal Superflex Wide or Ultracolor Plus
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.