Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davemul

Apologies mods of this needs to go elsewhere.. please feel free to move it or bin it!

Riiiight.. here goes....

We've been in our first house nearly 2 years now. We've (well ... more like I'VE!) done everything else bar the bathroom. It's an old 1800's cottage so the bathroom was in a pretty bad way. Solidly built but nasty and OLD!

I decided a few weeks ago to RIP it out and start from the beginning.

First task was to move the hot water cylinder from in the bathroom to a new cupboard outside the room (thanks to Scruff from ultimatehandyman.co.uk for the advice!)

Now you see it...

7599aa0b.jpg

Now you dont!

984bc1db.jpg

Ive taken quite a lot out..

CARNAGE

6ea9c026.jpg

80443c6c.jpg

Well, I picked up a load of bits today..

Marmox goods and tiles!

dd3c2c45.jpg

25b0ec7e.jpg

57a0edf2.jpg

98dac92b.jpg

8fe80143.jpg

New shower pump for the house too

89a80179.jpg

Also have taken delivery of a taptile wireless light switch system Taptile - Ditch the switch one-touch mood lighting and dimming solutions for the bathroom and kitchen

6 astro glass downlights

an airflow icon15 extractor fan

and some Polk RC60i ceiling speakers

and a couple of remote water isolation switches about surestop

More bits arrive tomorrow.. i'll update this thread as I go along... im taking next week off to start the plumbing and install!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

davemul

Thanks Robson, I dont think I could do this full time though!

another day, another load of tile boxes now empty :)

getting there slowly but surely! just need some tile drills now for various holes.

Would like to start grouting bits soon but concerned about using kerapoxy on my own... I only have 5kg tubs and bit concerned it will all go off too quickly...

Do you reckon I could get away with using normal ultracolour mapei grout in the non wet areas and just the epoxy in the wet parts... or shall I just get my butt in gear and use the epoxy everywhere I can?

e93abf32.jpg

384b3f7b.jpg

D

davemul

Boxed in the soil pipe and trial boarded up the concealed cistern framework. Missing a part for the super duper light flush button... Grohe kindly sent one out to me as goodwill today. Nice grohe!

6fff6f0c.jpg

Porsadrills arrived... feel really cheap but do the job... they do chip the tile if you arent carefull though!! :mad2::thumbsdown:

So, holes drilled and tricky tiles laid.... measurements had to be SPOT on!

1c40bac7.jpg

90fd64ab.jpg

Oh and architrave fitted, recessed screen channel fitted and tiled / sealed. I impressed myself with this!

4bf67951.jpg

02e45b50.jpg

Thats all for today!

D

davemul

I decided to tackle the gulley problem where the mosaics ended up lower than the drain cover. No good really is it!

a570601e.jpg

so I bought a different gully from impey, hoping it was lower profile.. it was... but doesnt fit properly

57a84566.jpg

e1520e6e.jpg

It look sSO much nicer than the other one though.. and could do with being a little lower.. so

Fein multimaster plus a steady hand results in this

2e307ade.jpg

its now at a perfect height

bf05661c.jpg

of course it still doesnt fit and is only resting on the gulley, so I will re jiggle and set induvidual mosaics to meet the new smaller drain cover, then silicone the drain cover tray. This will hold it in place. The actual grid is heavy and just sits in the tray

hopefully, problem solved!

any controversial opinions much welcomed before I make things permanent

Reply to Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.