Discuss Bathroom refit..... tiles on tiles on dot n dab...on tiles...honestly in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazebo

Morning all

I will endeavour to post pics asap but I have just started bathroom number 2 in a detached property for a client and believe it or not some clown has dot n dabbed plasteboard over the original half tiled bathroom..

Then they have tiled with ceramics....

Possibly 15 years or so down the line the next person to facelift the bathroom has tiled onto the tiles.(unknowingly or not) creating 3 layers of tiles and 1 layer or plasterboard onto 2 brick cavity walls and 2 blockwork internal walls.

Gotta love it. taken me ages to get it back to brick and ready for new dot n dab.

:mad2:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Worst one I had was 4 layers of tiles, when it all came out we had an extra 85mm to work with in each direction. What they had done around the casing is remove the archi, put a beading on and then replace the archi. They had previously removed tiles from in the window reveal. I can only imagine to allow light in...
When we ripped out we had no idea how the plasterboard took the weight.

G

Gazebo

Hi again

Just to reply to Johns queiry.

Is is all being replaced and remodelled so i got a blank canvas. :thumbsup:

Took the artex ceiling down yesterday and put new plasterboard up...loft insulation sucks I tell you..:prrr:

window reveal needs attention as slates on the header have broken etc.:oops:

I finished the clients other bathroom a week before Christmas so fortunately they have somewhere to wash and clean their teeth etc.
:hurray:

And yes I shall never ever ever tile on tile....come to think of it I can't remember ever doing so anyway..

Will keep you posted..

G

Gazebo

I tend to overboard ceilings now, just too messy ripping the old one down and you have to think of your health. Just find the beams and mark with pencil.

Cheers BoB

Thanks for thinking of my health matey,, much appreciated.

Where feasible i do overboard but tbh when the old coving was removed it left bare plasterboard around the perimeter of the ceiling, as the artex was very thick.

as with tiling walls best way is to remove old crap and fix new.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom refit..... tiles on tiles on dot n dab...on tiles...honestly in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
Yesterday I started working for a guy who was needing a hand on a job. I've had my own business...
Replies
Views
charlie1
C
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB