Discuss Bathroom Skimming Prep With Pva Before Tiling (wet Areas) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Crumbs

Hi, i am looking to re tile my bathroom and have got rid of all the tiles. Unfortunately some plaster damage has occured, i want to skim the damaged areas and use PVA between skim coats.

I know using PVA is a big mistake before the tiling in a wet area, but is it okay to use PVA before a skim coat when its in a wet area (shower above a bath)?? Does the same apply or is it safe?

Much appreciated :)

L

LM

Top man thanks, got the kit today so will be having a bash this weekend - was planning on filling the bath 3/4 volume and using clear silcone around the bath to the wall.

After that, would you suggest to install the tape while the bath has this volume left in it as well?
Do you guys normally seal the grout afterwards? Maybe OTT?? :D Much appreciated
If your using a sealux pack in conjunction with a tanking system then you don't need to seal the bath to the wall, that's taking care of by the correctly installed sealux pack.
It'll do no harm to half fill the bath, but you don't need to with sealux.
If you like seal your job with Seal guard aresol sealer

L

LM

Thanks pal, only issue i am concerned about now is the gap between the wall and the bath, shower end its about a cm and a little less on the other 2 walls - hopefully the tanking kit is ok with this gap as any demos of it seems fairly flush against the wall. Will post some pictures :)
Crumbs that's what the seal pack is for,it'll eliminate any gap up to about 15mm.
Did you get a seal pack?

C

Crumbs

Hey bud, i have decided against using bath seals. The sealux ones do look good but i dont feel confident installing them correctly and worried they will fail down the line as i have read online sometimes this occurs (most likely in poor installations) so will go with what i know (silcone). Once the addy / tiles are fitted the gap wont be as much i guess. Will silcone the tub to the wall before hand > tank > tile > silcone then seal the grout. Hopefully this will suffice

The tanking tape, when laying it down - do you centralise it so half is on the tub / half on the wall or more one side? Hopefully the tape is wide enough for the gap :oops: Thanks for your help much appreciated ;)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom Skimming Prep With Pva Before Tiling (wet Areas) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I have recently stripped the bathroom. I have 2 walls in non water area. One wall is new...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB