Discuss Bathroom Walls - Prep Advice before tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

After the relative success of tiling my kitchen floor and the tremendous advice and expertise from all you guys and gals on here, I thought I would be selfish again and ask for more help! :smash:

Right, in my main bathroom, there is part tiling around the bath and one row of tiles around the sink unit. I want to install an electric shower in the bathroom but as the tiles only go up by 3 tiles (unsure of size of tiles) I need to tile up to the ceiling at the tap-end.
Pics attached below.

I want to take all the old tiles off and start again. I shall delicately knock the old tiles off so as not to damage the plasterboard behind. But I need advice about the prep work needed to successfully tile over the paint.

The paint is almost definitely silk or bathroom emulsion and I know there's a layer of blue paint underneath too. Beyond that, probably just the thin magnolia splashed on by the builders. However I am just guessing as it was this way when we moved in.

So guys, what's the best idea with the paint?

When the tiles are off and the paint is dealt with, we'll be getting our plumber in to sort out the pipework for the shower and reset the bath as the bath is not level.

It is my intention to use similar sized tiles or slightly larger than what is already there, nothing flash, just simple white tiles and perhaps a thin black border tile around the middle of the room too. I realise I'll have to tile the entire tap-end of the bath, and think it would make sense to tile up to the window recess too but not necessarily inside it.

GRR

Attachments

• window.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 146
  • bath.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 139
D

Deleted member 9966

If you're going to pull the plasterboards off, why not replace them in the shower area with Hardi or Wedi? Saves tanking the shower area.

Just replace the non wet areas with new plasterboard.

Well I only plan on tiling to the ceiling in the corner at the tap end of the bath (see pics). MG suggested wedi and I had a look earlier today, looks like good stuff. As I'm only planning on making the tap end of the bath waterproof, could I slice into the existing plasterboard and take out the bits I want to replace with wedi?

D

Deleted member 9966

out for a meal, drinking champers, cava etc! have you no shame girl? there's a recession on! you shall be known as Marie Antoinette from now on!!:rant:

I shall say this only once
1. It's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow
and
2. You have to SPEND your way out of a recession, believe me, I'm a trained Economist.

Let's have another drink! :8:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom Walls - Prep Advice before tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB