UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss BATON or not! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlieorrin

Ive been tiling form 6 years now, and was allways taught to only use battons if realy needed..ie large formats tiles etc
And usually if they are too heavy i would level up the bottom course and tile up from there.
But to be honest with most ready mixed adhesives they grips so well theres realy no need and i will tile down from half way up the wall and put in my bottom cuts when i get there, suppose its what ever works for you or what your used to. ;)

I

Ian

I always used battens and probably would have carried on using them too. Didn't tile for long though to be fair.

I like to use them. Run them round the whole room at chosen height, then put 1st run of tiles in. I know alot of adhesives claim not to slip, and many members will back that up, I just like the security of a batton to get that first run spot on to make the rest of the job a breeze.

I

Ian

I use a laser for setting out and as a guide when putting up mosaics or small tiles. For large tiles and stone I always use a level and start from the bottom as I have a pet hate for leaving the cuts till last.

This is a perfect example of why this site is so good. So many different views and ways of achieving the same result. I've always used batons and had never considered not doing so, it's so important to consider all methods when doing our trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to BATON or not! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.