Discuss Best 1200mm+ wet cutter for stone in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

Evening all,

Got a couple of jobs coming up that will require a wet cutter that can handle limestone slabs 1200mm long,800mm wide and 25mm thick. We are ripping down the slabs to make planks on one job so the finish of the cut must be spot on. Also I know its going to be a heavy piece of kit but I need it to be fairly portable from job to job.

Looks like we are going to have to buy a bigger cutter so has anyone got a machine they can recommend? Or maybe somewhere in the south east we can hire a suitable machine? Only machines I've found are the Rubi DS250 1500 or the Rodia machine at Diatech in Scotland. I'm a Rubi fan but I've never played on a machine this big and at £2k its a big buy without playing.

I'm put off the flex or the other wet hand held saws as ripping down 100mts of limestone into planks either 250mm or 195mm wide and they need to be spot on. Being laid like wood flooring in random planks. I know these machines are good but I felt there would be too much play on them and I couldn't fix a guide rail up for the whole job like I could on a big cutter. If it was just 15/20 mts I'd risk it.
Tried 2 stone masons/worktop fitters local to me and they are quoting nearly a grand to cut them down and re-pallet them ready for del to site. For that money I might aswell but the machine and do it myself.
Dewalt can't handle them. Too heavy.
Its the royal 'we' as my work mate is too frail to help me lift a bucket on site let alone the slabs or the cutter!!

Maybe I should think about these a bit more then. I thought cutting down over 100 slabs like this would be a pain in the backside

C

Concrete guy

Maybe I should think about these a bit more then. I thought cutting down over 100 slabs like this would be a pain in the backside

The accuracy you require is the pain and that's why you're getting quoted so much by a mason to do the cutting. There's a lot of set up time for each cut.

A CSW 4161 can cut 50mm + in limestone in a single pass so you could at least double up the slabs. From memory it's a 60mm depth of cut.

Just to keep you all informed, we decided to buy the Rubi DS 250 1500.
It made sense as we thought if we are going to go big then we might as well push the boat out and go really big! With a 1500mm cutting length, hopefully we can cater for almost any stone job that comes are way.
I went over to Rubi in Essex and they were very helpful. They had 1 in stock so they got it out the box for me and let me have a look and a play with it, we put it up against other machines they had in stock and also the hand held water fed saws. After a chat with them we all agreed this was the best way forward.
I'm sure its a wise choice but I'll give you a full review once we've had it on site and seen how it performs.

J

jonnyc

sorry, only just seen this thread so may be too late.
i was looking for a replacement saw about six months ago.
i have previously had the alu manta 85 and 120
and prior to that the norton cs100 clipper.
norton was good for 15 years every day use but heavy to lug around.
alu mantu nice and light but after 4-5 years the aluminium frame starts to buckle and legs sherar off.
i spent alot of time looking around and bought the battipav prime 120s from trimline and all of us are really happy with it.
i got it because it was a robust machine that trimline use for hiring out as the least problematic
and also because it is very simple with not much to go wrong .
the raimondi zoe looks the biz but overcomplicated for me.
the king of all is undoubtedly the ENGLISH made bam 1320 and worth the extra money for the quality but more difficult to move around. other than the bam the karl dahm made cutter is only one to compare.

Hi Jonny
Yeah I had a look at the Bam but didnt feel it was a site machine. Lovely machine tho
As you say the Raimondi looked too fidley and I knew something would break off on it in the back of the van.
Didnt really look in to the Battipav or the Karl Dahm as to be honest I'd pretty much made my mind up on the Rubi by then. We have loads of Rubi tools already so like how well they are made and trust the brand. For me it just seemed the logical machine to get. Being able to go to Rubi and play with the machine before buying helped aswell.
Will keep everyone updated on how it performs

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Best 1200mm+ wet cutter for stone in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
O
    • Winner
    • Informative
So as a couple of you may be aware, @Simon Dale his daughter Katrina, and myself are on a...
Replies
Views
L
B
Evening all, So getting back into the swing of it all again and need to get myself a new wet...
Replies
Views
Gonzo1969
G
C
Hi all, I'd really appreciate your guidance if any of you would be so kind. Apologies in...
Replies
Views
S
Hi there. I only do couple of bathrooms a year, but now I have more and more tiling to do...
Replies
Views

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB