Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Best plan for Slate & UFH? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

Thanks Doug, Looks a very nice job mate. Like the tile layout pattern. Is it a 4tile pattern?

Also is that calibrated slate & the genesis decoupling membrane? How does that compare to ditra? I've still been using ditra at the moment as I can wangle it at a very favourable price, but i'm sure soon it will be too expensive to use it anymore.
it's a 3 tile pattern peegee, 600 x 600, 600 x 400 and 400 x 400, all uncallibrated bolivian slate. The decoupler is dural ci, it's same as ditra only yellow:thumbsup:

I'm doing a honed slate floor with UFH at the moment. I'm putting it in and tiling the walls this coming week, so I'll treat you guys to some pics as I do it.

I also went with insulation board and DITRA. My understanding was the insualtion board will improve the efficiency of the UFH. Whilst the DITRA should protect the tiles from any subfloor movement and expansion/contraction from the UFH.

My job is also 3rd floor flat en-suite bathroom, so the 30mm marmox should also help absorb some of the sound too. To prep the floor I had to remove 22mm chipboard with 8mm sound insulation, that was just floating. On removing that I discovered 25mm plywood randomly nailed down to the joists, so all I have to do is screw that down and remove the dust, prime it and build upward from there with the marmox, UFH, DITRA and tiles.

I'm looking forward to it, as it's my first UFH job, but it means I'm working B.holiday Monday too :thumbsdown: :smilewinkgrin:

Good luck with yours :thumbsup:

P

peegee tips

Sounds like you have it well under control mate, flats can be a bit of a mare with all that lugging around of gear up loads of stairs! Is it empty or you having to move your gear every day? :thumbsdown:

Just a thought, as you have 25mm of ply on the joists, could you not screw down 6mm insulation boards to keep the height down a bit instead of the 30mm boards?

Hope it all goes well anyway, look forward to the photos.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I'm doing a honed slate floor with UFH at the moment. I'm putting it in and tiling the walls this coming week, so I'll treat you guys to some pics as I do it.

I also went with insulation board and DITRA. My understanding was the insualtion board will improve the efficiency of the UFH. Whilst the DITRA should protect the tiles from any subfloor movement and expansion/contraction from the UFH.

My job is also 3rd floor flat en-suite bathroom, so the 30mm marmox should also help absorb some of the sound too. To prep the floor I had to remove 22mm chipboard with 8mm sound insulation, that was just floating. On removing that I discovered 25mm plywood randomly nailed down to the joists, so all I have to do is screw that down and remove the dust, prime it and build upward from there with the marmox, UFH, DITRA and tiles.

I'm looking forward to it, as it's my first UFH job, but it means I'm working B.holiday Monday too :thumbsdown: :smilewinkgrin:

Good luck with yours :thumbsup:

Is the 25mm ply exterior grade?:thumbsup:

Cheers for the reminder Phil. Now you mention it I'm not sure it was. Do you have any tips on how can you tell, without ripping the floor up to see if its been stamped somewhere?

That said, I've also used WP joint tape on the marmox, and it will also have a layer of DITRAMATT over it, and tanking in the shower enclosure, so now I'm just hoping no water will be able to penetrate once completed!!

PGee, thankfully the couple move in once I finish, so all tools can stay overnight and are in the un-furnished/un-decorated bedroom next to where the en-suite is situated. And wet-cutting can take place on the balcony.

The rest of the floor throughout the flat is 25mm ply on joist, 8mm sound insulation, 22mm chipboard, then 2mm of wooden flooring insulation and approx. 20mm of new natural wooden flooring. By taking out the chipboard & insulation in the en-suite, I had about 45mm to get back to the existing floor level in the rest of the flat!!

I'm making it sound more complex than it is, but I'll do you some pics later. Indeed, taking all the tiles and materials up 6 flights of stairs nearly killed me!!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Cheers for the reminder Phil. Now you mention it I'm not sure it was. Do you have any tips on how can you tell, without ripping the floor up to see if its been stamped somewhere?

That said, I've also used WP joint tape on the marmox, and it will also have a layer of DITRAMATT over it, and tanking in the shower enclosure, so now I'm just hoping no water will be able to penetrate once completed!!

PGee, thankfully the couple move in once I finish, so all tools can stay overnight and are in the un-furnished/un-decorated bedroom next to where the en-suite is situated. And wet-cutting can take place on the balcony.

The rest of the floor throughout the flat is 25mm ply on joist, 8mm sound insulation, 22mm chipboard, then 2mm of wooden flooring insulation and approx. 20mm of new natural wooden flooring. By taking out the chipboard & insulation in the en-suite, I had about 45mm to get back to the existing floor level in the rest of the flat!!

I'm making it sound more complex than it is, but I'll do you some pics later. Indeed, taking all the tiles and materials up 6 flights of stairs nearly killed me!!

You can usually tell by the colour/ texture, pics would help:thumbsup:

Reply to Best plan for Slate & UFH? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Best plan for Slate & UFH?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.