Discuss Bit of advice please for nervous starter in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sstocky

Hi all thanks for looking,

Have a small ensuite - 2.5x1.2m . plasterboarded out with standard plasterboard (had no green in stock) so am looking at tanking the shower area with Dunlop tanking kit. From reading - the screwfix kit should allow me to tank the shower area full height although i take it i add the final piece of tape above the shower tray right at the end.

One question is whether to prime the rest of the room - standard 12.5mm plasterboard which is going to be tiled on. Probably looking at 150x100mm ceramic tiles although not confirmed yet.

Also re the floor - it is 18mm chipboard flooring and from reading lots i was going to put 12mm WBP ply on top of the floor screwed at 150 ctres and then the tiles fixed with a flexible grout (looking at 300x300 tiles on the floor - type unconfirmed as yet).
Having read on here i am now unsure as to whether that is the best way to go.

I would appreciated all the advice possible please. I have tiled a bathroom so have a little knowledge but that can de dangerous.

Thanks in advance

S

sstocky

Thanks for the replies.

Spoke to BAL this am and told them my senario, based on 12mm ply over 188mm chipboard.(ply is already down)

they recommended single part fastflex onto the ply (said that if there was dust on the ply then to clean it and prime, if it was clean then no primer required, although the edges at least should be sealed)

Had a conversation then about the tanking and when I asked re the dunlop tanking kit she said that they produced it and it would be guaranteed if using either fastflex or single part flexible as adheshive over it. (BAL specified SP flexible for the walls but as fastflex white only comes in 12.5kg bags that i would be fine to use that)

I am now even more confused. lolol

D

Deleted member 1779

Not sure if you are using expensive porcelain tiles (very hard) or softer ceramic tiles.

However if you are using products from screwfix you might consider our Bathroom Fitters Kit.
Screwfix prices, 6mm £6.29x2 : 8mm £7.86x2 : 16mm £14.55 : 30mm £24.39 : 40mm £27.54
Total Screwfix Prices = £94.78 and our price is £49.99 (£44.79 cheaper)
Prices correct as of 28.1.2011 (using catalogue 104 Jan 2011)

kit2.jpg

£44.79 cheaper than Screwfix
(Price comparison correct as of 28th Jan 2011)

Reply to Bit of advice please for nervous starter in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Bit of advice please for nervous starter
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.