Discuss Black Limestone Problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Milou

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. In February I had 30msq of black limestone laid at the front of my house. Since then the chap who laid it has tried to sort out the dreadful staining that appears. He has used Colour Enhancer and then Stain Stop but I've just hosed the area down again and now that its dry there are still patchy water markings all over it. It looks awful. I'm sure I read that these slabs should have been sealed before laying is this correct? I wonder if anyone near to me in Dulwich could have a look at it.

K

Knackered Knees

Pics are a must for such advice. In saying that limestone especially black can be a bit 'Hit and Miss' depends on where it's being laid and the traffic it has to cope with. Myself I always give it a good looking over before I even think about laying it, it must be 'Perfect' in appearance, I always handle it wearing gloves as the oils from your skin can stain untreated limestone, it's just compressed calcium carbonate and it will 'suck in' just about any type of material and stain it. I myself normally seal the face first before fixing as an insurance policy as different density stone can 'blend' differently once laid and create patches so this is checked first with the sealer before laying. Also clients fail to realize that stone is a natural product and it isn't 'Man made' and has a certain character and 'style' that only comes about by age. In other words it won't stay 'Perfect' forever and will soften with time. Like the saying goes "A rolling stone gathers no moss".

M

Milou

limestone slabs.JPG Hi this is a photo of the slabs. when washed they dry like this....

M

Milou

Thanks for all your help. Yes, if I do rub them really hard the stain goes and the finish is nice with a slight sheen, but, obviously I can't get down on my hands and knees every time it rains, it would take hours, an inch square took ages. We've even had colour intensifier and then stain stop put on them. It rained yesterday, they looked good, the rain stopped and they look awful again.

Reply to Black Limestone Problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We have just laid an outdoor patio and path using black limestone (now wishing I’d perhaps...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, just after a bit of advice. I've just had some 15mm limestone tiles fitted in my...
Replies
Views
Hi all I laid a full patio with black limestone last October on a full layer of concrete. I...
Replies
Views
I had a new porcelain patio installed several months ago, and we have been struggling ever since...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Black Limestone Problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.