Discuss Board of choice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

Wooden floors have to be overboarded for several reasons. Strengthen existing floor, strengthen against horizontal stresses.
Give a flat surface for tiling (waterproof system if needed) to name a few

I know that!
What I was getting at is - the reason/s you are overboarding will dictate your choice of materials.
I don't see how NMP can cover all bases.
In my experience 6mm cement/silica boards are only suitable for small floors free of excessive deflection.

I know that!
What I was getting at is - the reason/s you are overboarding will dictate your choice of materials.
I don't see how NMP can cover all bases.
In my experience 6mm cement/silica boards are only suitable for small floors free of excessive deflection.

Sorry mate, I wasn't sure if you are a pro or just a novice asking a question.

My thread (this one) has answered and helped with choosing the the right board for different situations. As far as where you cut the line for big meterage over a large floor.. i don't know.
i wouldn't go sticking matting on floor boards though.
I haven't personally come across a job big enough to pose the question of what else to use.
But faced with a 'large' floor, floor boarded throughout would still need to be strengthened, What would you do Impish?

They do but it's a cement board so I like to try a water test on some....

my supplier has a NMP show case on the counter which has a piece of board one side and water on the top of it.. bottom tray of display is dry

- - - Updated - - -

my supplier has a NMP show case on the counter which has a piece of board one side and water on the top of it.. bottom tray of display is dry

Little box about 200x200x50

O

One Day

Sorry mate, I wasn't sure if you are a pro or just a novice asking a question.

My thread (this one) has answered and helped with choosing the the right board for different situations. As far as where you cut the line for big meterage over a large floor.. i don't know.
i wouldn't go sticking matting on floor boards though.
I haven't personally come across a job big enough to pose the question of what else to use.
But faced with a 'large' floor, floor boarded throughout would still need to be strengthened, What would you do Impish?

No worries! (I know one end of a trowel from the other by now anyway!)
I've a 70smq floor soon which is all 5" t&g boards. I plan on getting under the floor to fix extra props (if needed) and extra noggins (definitely needed).
Then it's 18mm wbp ply with millions (maybe a few less) of screws and I'll use fixed movement joints at doorways.

No worries! (I know one end of a trowel from the other by now anyway!)
I've a 70smq floor soon which is all 5" t&g boards. I plan on getting under the floor to fix extra props (if needed) and extra noggins (definitely needed).
Then it's 18mm wbp ply with millions (maybe a few less) of screws and I'll use fixed movement joints at doorways.

May I ask why Wbp instead of backer board?

O

One Day

May I ask why Wbp instead of backer board?

I want to add strength to the floor and reduce deflection.
Compare the rigidity of a 6 or even a 10mm backerboard with a same size piece of 18mm ply and it's a no-brainer.

This customer has had a failed floor in their last home and they accept that this is the belt & braces way which I will guarantee.

Smaller floors with less deflection I would generally be happy to use Wedi board as it's lighter and faster and gives a strong bond.

I don't like fixing to ply but in this case it appears to be the best option.
I'll be careful where I source the ply and I'll be filing the invoices - just in case!

I want to add strength to the floor and reduce deflection.
Compare the rigidity of a 6 or even a 10mm backerboard with a same size piece of 18mm ply and it's a no-brainer.

This customer has had a failed floor in their last home and they accept that this is the belt & braces way which I will guarantee.

Smaller floors with less deflection I would generally be happy to use Wedi board as it's lighter and faster and gives a strong bond.

I don't like fixing to ply but in this case it appears to be the best option.
I'll be careful where I source the ply and I'll be filing the invoices - just in case!

You have reminded me of a job i have done a 78m2 boarded floor. I used 18mm Birch ply. this was because all the local ply i could source was crappy far eastern ply which had layers de-laminating.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Board of choice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice on how much adhesive to use. I’ve taken on my first tiling project and found...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB