Discuss Boardleys are now gypsies lol! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fulabeer

Doug, be careful about the weight ratings. We only take 100kg of wine with us for short weekends!
I don't know your level of knowledge about caravaning, so please feel free to ignore this if your are already aware! :)

The caravan has a unladen weight, and a maximum weight. (when loaded etc)
This has nothing to do with what your car can tow.
It is the maximum weight that your caravan and tyres can handle.
The police do spot checks, and are very strict about the weights.
There is also a "nose" weight that is very important.
Again, you car will have a maximum "nose" weight on the tow bar. (anywhere between 50-150kg etc)
The caravan will also have a nose weight, which is based on the weight of the caravan. (7% ?)
Always try to aim for the highest weight of the caravan, without exceeding the tow ball maximum.
So if the caravans nose weight is 75kg, and the car is 100kg. The most you can go to is 75kg.
I would aim to get 75kg, as long as this doesn't lead to a "nose down" look when attached to your car.
As your photos show, you know about putting heavy objects on the floor when towing. Just move them forward or back until you get the right target nose weight.
A light nose weight increases the risk of swaying/snaking. Too heavy and you risk straining the tow ball, or grounding the "a" frame.
I used a cheap nose gauge at first. But eventually fitted one built into the jockey wheel. (cannot forget or lose a built in one!)

Having a twin axle helps the above problems, but doesn't eradicate them.
Other things to check are the tyre age. It's printed on the side walls.
Any tyre over five years old is considered spent. Caravan tyres rarely wear out, so age is the only way to know when new ones are due.

With the length of your rig, be wary of grounding on ramps, and be aware the back end "steps out" on tight turns. (can obstruct on coming traffic when turning left etc)

I tow a 2.7t trailer and find that way easier to tow than my 1.5t caravan.
It's the bulk of the caravan that makes it harder to handle. Wind has far more effect than on my trailer.
Reversing is about the same for difficulty, and very different swing needed between the two.
I assume like me you find it a doddle. Pulling a trailer all day makes for very good practise!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Doug, be careful about the weight ratings. We only take 100kg of wine with us for short weekends!
I don't know your level of knowledge about caravaning, so please feel free to ignore this if your are already aware! :)

The caravan has a unladen weight, and a maximum weight. (when loaded etc)
This has nothing to do with what your car can tow.
It is the maximum weight that your caravan and tyres can handle.
The police do spot checks, and are very strict about the weights.
There is also a "nose" weight that is very important.
Again, you car will have a maximum "nose" weight on the tow bar. (anywhere between 50-150kg etc)
The caravan will also have a nose weight, which is based on the weight of the caravan.
Always try to aim for the highest weight of the caravan, without exceeding the tow ball maximum.
So if the caravans nose weight is 75kg, and the car is 100kg. The most you can go to is 75kg.
I would aim to get 75kg, as long as this doesn't lead to a "nose down" look when attached to your car.
As your photos show, you know about putting heavy objects on the floor when towing. Just move them forward or back until you get the right target nose weight.
A light nose weight increases the risk of swaying/snaking. Too heavy and you risk straining the tow ball, or grounding the "a" frame.
I used a cheap nose gauge at first. But eventually fitted one built into the jockey wheel. (cannot forget or lose a built in one!)

Having a twin axle helps the above problems, but doesn't eradicate them.
Other things to check are the tyre age. It printed on the side walls.
Any tyre over five years old is considered spent. Caravan tyres rarely wear out, so age is the only way to know when new ones are due.

With the length of your rig, be wary of grounding on ramps, and be aware the back end "steps out" on tight turns. (can obstruct on coming traffic when turning left etc)

I tow a 2.7t trailer and find that way easier to tow than my 1.5t caravan.
It's the bulk of the caravan that makes it harder to handle. Wind has far more effect than on my trailer.
Reversing is about the same for difficulty, and very different swing needed between the two.
I assume like me you find it a doddle. Pulling a trailer all day makes for very good practise!

You soooooo need to get on our much newer camping forum. Camping Forum | ChatCamping.net - A camping and caravanning advice forum and blog (stick with it while it's new and help it grow.... pllllleeeaaassseeee?!?!?!) :D :D :D :D :D :D

F

fulabeer

we're giving it it's first outing this weekend, caravan site a couple of miles away, handy if we've forgotten owt

What do you mean "IF" you have forgotten owt. You mean "WHEN" you have forgotten owt... :)

I don't think we did a single trip where we haven't forgotten something.
"Check lists" are just things that remind you once you have arrived what you have forgotten!

Worst one was forgetting the electric "hook up" cable.
Travelled all the way to Anglesey before realising.
It was a Sunday after 6pm so no chance of just going out and buying one.

It is only then you realise how many things in a modern caravan need 240v.
We had a young baby and needed the microwave for warming the milk etc.
The TV would work with the 12v supply, but the SKY HD box wouldn't.
I have three kids and have a lot of their stuff saved on the SKY box.
No sat TV meant possibly having to actually speak to the missus, so i decided to leave her and the van and drive back home for the hook up!
5 hours later i arrived back at the caravan. Only to find out i had left the garage door open at home..........(neighbour had phoned the missus)
Thankfully, the neighbour went into the garage and locked everything up for us.

Since then, i put the hook up lead and sky box on the front seat of the car. The wife goes in the boot with the rest of the gear :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

What do you mean "IF" you have forgotten owt. You mean "WHEN" you have forgotten owt... :)

I don't think we did a single trip where we haven't forgotten something.
"Check lists" are just things that remind you once you have arrived what you have forgotten!

Worst one was forgetting the electric "hook up" cable.
Travelled all the way to Anglesey before realising.
It was a Sunday after 6pm so no chance of just going out and buying one.

It is only then you realise how many things in a modern caravan need 240v.
The TV would work with the 12v supply, but the SKY HD wouldn't.
I have three kids and have a lot of their stuff saved on the SKY box.
No sat TV meant possibly having to actually speak to the missus, so i decided to leave her and the van and drive back home for the hook up!
5 hours later i arrived back at the caravan. Only to find out i had left the garage door open at home..........(neighbour had phoned the missus)
Thankfully, the neighbour went into the garage and locked everything up for us.

Since then, i put the hook up lead and sky box on the front seat of the car. The wife goes in the boot with the rest of the gear :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reply to Boardleys are now gypsies lol! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

At Boston Fire and Flood, we specialize in fast and reliable water damage restoration services...
Replies
Views
G
Hope you are well, We are a new supplier for sealant operating in the central London. As of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice. 2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and...
Replies
Views
Happy New Year everybody. Our Joke Friday for 2022 thread starts here! Leave your jokes and...
2 3
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Boardleys are now gypsies lol!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.