Discuss Bodged Or Not? aqua-dec Shower Former Drain Issue in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Julia

So the tiler has just left and we have this in our wet room.
What do you think? I don't think it's how it should be - would any of you be happy with this?
It was just laid today so I don't even know what is involved in taking it up.
Opinions very welcome thank you!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 175

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
It's not unacceptable per se but it's unusual. I guess?

He's done the fall to the grout joint as a whole I assume? So then it runs into the drain from there?

If you're not happy, ask him to run it to the 4 corners before it's too late to rectify it.

What adhesive has been used and what's under the tiles?

J

Julia

It's not unacceptable per se but it's unusual. I guess?

He's done the fall to the grout joint as a whole I assume? So then it runs into the drain from there?

If you're not happy, ask him to run it to the 4 corners before it's too late to rectify it.

What adhesive has been used and what's under the tiles?

I don't know what adhesive is under the tiles but really I would prefer it to all 4 corners. Am just slightly worried about saying start again!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
The bits of wood in this one show where I assumed the lines to the drain should be.
It just looks wrong and now I've seen it I can't unsee it! Since I seem to be spending almost 10k on a 2.5m square bathroom I am not sure I can live with it....
They shouldn't be there per se. I guess it's personal preference.

You usually find they fall to the corners. That's what nearly everybody would do. I can't see why the set out has been chosen that he's gone with. It's the same amount of cuts pretty much etc.

I'm wondering what the fall is in the former under the tiles or whatever? Perhaps that's stipulated the location of the fall in the tiles?

I might me talking out my arse though. The other lads are the professionals here I'm just the tea boy.

J

Julia

They shouldn't be there per se. I guess it's personal preference.

You usually find they fall to the corners. That's what nearly everybody would do. I can't see why the set out has been chosen that he's gone with. It's the same amount of cuts pretty much etc.

I'm wondering what the fall is in the former under the tiles or whatever? Perhaps that's stipulated the location of the fall in the tiles?

I might me talking out my arse though. The other lads are the professionals here I'm just the tea boy.

It's a wet room shower tray under - the drain is off centre and the point he's come to is in the middle of the shower but it just looks wrong.

Does anyone know how difficult it is now to replace in 24 hours?!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Perhaps something that should have been discussed before but it doesn't matter now.

If you're not happy worth it, get him that the tiles up. It shouldn't be too complicated to get a few up and not damaged the tray. Might take a while though.

And I guess go halves on the extra time cost? I don't think he's done wrong personally but maybe I'm wrong like I say.

I guess he's coming in the morning? Get him to get them up first thing.

J

Julia

Tiler is off site today but the builder / project manager who built and tanked the shower area said he had noticed the irregular cuts yesterday and spoke to the tiler who apparently was following the former lines exactly.

However, this morning, contacting the shower tray company revealed that you can indeed go "off former" to meet the corners of the grate without any issues.

The problem now it that its all gone off and they say that it may damage the tanking, waterproofing and even the tray if we take out the 3 back tiles meaning the whole build will have to be restarted.

The dilemma we now face is - do we get them to redo it. The issue I suspect is more aesthetic but I just can't unsee it now and have to weigh that up against the cost of it all going wrong.

Incidentally I felt absolutely terrible mentioning it this morning as they have done an amazing job, but the devil really is in the detail and had to do it as with all the money invested in this, I really wanted it to be perfect!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Oh okay so he did follow the former lines. So perhaps wasn't wrong at all then.

If it's your personal preference to have the lines in the corners (which would be my preference too) then perhaps just deal with the damage and get it done. But perhaps don't expect the tiler to do it FOC if he's not done wrong following the former.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I think from what feedback I'm getting from the professional's on the forum, that the tiles should have met the corners of the drain as you (and I) would expect.

So unless there is a reason he's done it weird. Then perhaps he hasn't done it actually correct.

You could do with finding out why he's done it like that if you're about to tell him to re-do it which might cost him a new former and a day sorting it out! Perhaps the builder or somebody specified he did it like that?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Well done you.

A grinder I guess. You need to somehow smash the tile up gently. If that can happen. Break the tiles. Grind into them. If you have a depth guage on a grinder you want to use that and just grind strips down the tiles so they become lots of small parts of tile. Then just chisel them up, sort of.

It's going to be a maul. Not going to lie to you.

Then once you have got the tile up. A Fein Multimaster with a rough rasp on them would get the adhesive up. Might be worth the tiler doing this he should have the tools or access to them perhaps.

Hire shops might have some of of what you need.

O

Old Mod

Well done you.

A grinder I guess. You need to somehow smash the tile up gently. If that can happen. Break the tiles. Grind into them. If you have a depth guage on a grinder you want to use that and just grind strips down the tiles so they become lots of small parts of tile. Then just chisel them up, sort of.

It's going to be a maul. Not going to lie to you.

Then once you have got the tile up. A Fein Multimaster with a rough rasp on them would get the adhesive up. Might be worth the tiler doing this he should have the tools or access to them perhaps.

Hire shops might have some of of what you need.

I think this is what Dan means.
image.jpg

Reply to Bodged Or Not? aqua-dec Shower Former Drain Issue in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Home owner here based in Surrey with a new Porcelain tiled patio. I need some advice about some...
Replies
Views
Alan johnson
A

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB