Discuss Bodged Or Not? aqua-dec Shower Former Drain Issue in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I think we're making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

Hammer and chisel the back three tiles until you're back to the adhesive, then if needs be, he can skim the back of the new tiles going in there a little to take off some thickness to fit them in. It's not the end of the world. They're going to have a fall anyway.

I think it looks ok and so long as the water drains well I'd be happy with it. That said, its you that needs to be happy so if your not, definitely redo it. It's costing a lot too, so I'd want exactly what I wanted for that. Nice looking tiles by the way.
But I have to say, I think there be really hard to get off the tray without causing damage to the tray. That said, I've not handled these aqua trays before.

J

Julia

I think it's more the wet proofing / tanking ontop of the tray which has everyone concerned.
If that is damaged then all the tiles have to come up - not just 3 - and they extend over the other side of the room not shown in the photo, then we have to re-tank the whole floor and retile. I'll have to buy all new which - aside from the expense take a week or so to arrive - and we are at a standstill till floor is done, and have no toilet. Living the dream!
So damaging the tanking sheet underneath would to my mind be quite bad. Damaging the Aqua deck tray which has a wall built on top of it - catastrophic.
That said I feel pretty sure we should be able to just get 3 tiles out because looking at it it looks doable. It's weighing up the risk I guess.
There is a summit to discuss in the morning which I am looking forward to enormously....

If its set already ( rapid set ) , I'd leave it until finished ( grouted ) and see how it works . If it doesn't drain right the only extra job is removing the grout , if its ok , then it's just a case of whether or not can live with it . Dont forget once the grouts in it should blend a little better and you might not notice so much.
I'm not making excuses for anyone here , just saying it's not the end of the world . All said and done though you are the paying customer so it's entirely up to you.
For me it doesn't look terrible , odd maybe , but not terrible.

Just as a side issue ( and this nothing against the OP ) I dont understand why more people don't go for a matching mosaic in the former , looks miles better than all the envelope cutting imho , aesthetically , just my view though.

Diggy

J

Julia

Well - on closer inspection, where the drain meets the centre line of tiles it's completely flush. On the other corner it's about 2mm proud. The drain itself is level but it means we don't have a flush grate finish.
Also it's my understanding that the fall is acceptable anywhere within that rotating circle so you'd still be able to cut to all 4 corners of the grate.
The more I look the unhappier I am and I am definitely going to ask him to take up those 3. It's all rock solid now so should be fun.
There is a lot of speculation as to whether it's right or wrong but I think I'm erring on the side of wrong rather than just aesthetically irritating.
I'll send a photo of the not so great grate.
This is all before he even attempts the ridiculously priced glass mosaics which are staggered like house bricks so almost every one needs to be cut! I am not looking forward to the next couple of days!

J

Julia

Grate....
The bottom and right hand side are flush but the top and left hand side are not - tiles sit proud by about 2mm

Attachments

• IMG_1093.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 72

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Thats the only reason the tiles stand proud Dan because they are not going to the correct corners of the drain. Pretty sure that if the falls on the former had been adhered to, pardon the pun, then the 2mm lip would definitely not be there.
I thought if the drain was slanted it wouldn't stand proud though and perhaps was slanted and tiled like that for dodging a joist which was mentioned in the earlier post. Hence me asking to be honest.

J

Julia

So we have had our meeting with the builder and tiler this morning.... Obviously they didn't want to take up the 3 tiles. It got a bit confrontational as they argued it couldn't be done and the waste tray 'thing' would never go flush even if they went to the 4 corners. We stood our ground and insisted it would go flush (so you guys had better be right!) and pointed out it was unlikely a tray would be manufactured in such a way as to make getting it flush impossible.
Nonetheless we have decided to rip them out - not a decision taken lightly - and he's chiseling away as I type.
Cost was touched on - apparently it is our risk and extra time for the tiler.
In my mind it was just wrong so it's had to be done.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Of course it can be flush! If you cut tiles the width of each side of the drain, they would fit flush even on a 45 degree angle let alone a 4.5 degree one!!!!!

It's the fact a tile is trying to wrap around the drain that means as soon as you lift it, you get a lip. Life that 45 degrees you'd have a gap. Obviously.

I think they were having you on with that conversation but I can understand them getting a bit 50p 20p 50p 20p over lifting the tiles.

Reply to Bodged Or Not? aqua-dec Shower Former Drain Issue in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Home owner here based in Surrey with a new Porcelain tiled patio. I need some advice about some...
Replies
Views
Alan johnson
A

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB